PDA

View Full Version : crabs n snails in the overflow..

Darrin
04/08/2009, 03:32 PM
didnt see a crab forum, so i thought i would post here, since this is where I read most...

How do you guys keep snails, nudis, crabs, etc from falling into your overflows and getting caught in your impellers in the pumps?

I had a nassrius get caught in a pump once and it shredded the impeller..

d

flyyyguy
04/08/2009, 04:26 PM
what kind of overflow?

Depending on what kind of overflow you can use eggcrate or many tanks are built with and many use vertical teeth, although they are a poor method as they reduce your overflows surface skimming effectiveness by one half give or take depending on how you space them.

I use a full tank length horizontal slots that are about 1/3" wide. Any snail that can fit through that my pumps can chew up no problem

another thing you can do is go ahead and allow the snails to pass freely and protect the pump by an intake guard or screening

Darrin
04/08/2009, 06:38 PM
i have a 50 gallon with one hole I drilled in the bottom... IT has a standpipe that goes to the top of the water... the pipe is about a 2-3 inch pvc pipe... The 50 is actually a refugium that i was growing chato and caulerpa in. It feeds into my 200... But i am starting to put frags in the 50 and I want to put critters in it to keep it clean... i just dont want to loose another pump...

d

I used some kinda mesh stuff that came with my used 200... but a sail snuck through and since then I have not had a snail in there...

Was wondering what else was out there... filter mesh, panty hose (think it would clog up too fast) tule (bridal veil stuff) i dunno.... just looking for options..

d

Darrin
04/13/2009, 01:12 PM
anyone else have ways of keeping them out of the overflows?

d

PAZE
04/13/2009, 03:06 PM
You know that mesh that we use to mod skimmers? this seems to work pretty good, you just have to check it once in a while, I have two overflows and it works great, no snails in my sump.