PDA

View Full Version : Plate Montapora

TUSI
04/08/2009, 06:39 PM
CAN ANY ONE HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHY MY MONTI IS BLEACHING. WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM FROM YOUR EXPERIENCES. I AM NEW TO THIS.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

krzyphsygy
04/08/2009, 06:45 PM
Could be lots of things...too much flow, dkh to high, too much light, . Look at it closely is getting decent flow, can you see the polyps move some what? What is your dkh at? What kind lighting do you have and where is it in the tank? What is your calcium and Mag at?

Try listing your parameters. Go through and do a complete line of tests.

TUSI
04/08/2009, 06:55 PM
THANKS krzyphsygy FOR ANSWERING SO FAST.
CAL 400 - 440
ALK 8-10
PH 8.1-8.4
MAGNESIUM NEVER CHECKED
WATER FLOW - MEDIUM
SITUATED MIDDLE OF TANK
3-150W METAL HALIDE LIGHTS

NCNBilly
04/09/2009, 11:29 AM
Specifically, what type of flow do you have?

What is the distance from the monti to the lights? How high in the tank? How long have you had it? If new, how long did you acclimate it (and how).

FYI: Please turn off your Caps Lock - it's considered yelling on most forums.

Cheers

CleveYank
04/09/2009, 04:35 PM
TUSI,

You do need to give some answers to the questions that the others have inquired. Then it may get narrowed down.

One that noone asked. Is this a new arrival and did you check it for monty eating nudis? Google search with advanced search or pay upgrade here and check domain reefcentral will get you info on that and what they look like and their eggs.

I see you are the newby to reefcentral unless that's just a new (2nd) account. So if noone said so yet...WELCOME TO REEFCENTRAL!!!! ;)

krzyphsygy
04/09/2009, 05:29 PM
Those parameters seem ok. What test kits are you using?
I did not see an Nitrate # there. very important.
Also when you say medium flow...how many gallons per hr total?
If there any flow hitting it directlly? There should not be, they like a moderate random flow. Check Ammonia and Nitrite also. You have to be sure on your test kits.

Nitrates should be at zero, also how old is the tank?

What color was the monti originally? Were you able to take a close look at it? Do you see polyps.

Look for the nuidis to that were mentioned previously, thats a good call.

Let me know.

TUSI
04/09/2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the attention, sorry about the cap lock, that shows you how much I know about forums.
The Monti was red, t is about 24" away from a light.
It is not under direct high flow[Sorry I don't Know the GPH]
I checked it for nuidis and i couldn't see any thing.
the tank is only 5 months old.
Nitrates and amonia are 0
The test kit I use is made By API
Could it be the skimmer cause I don't think that is working properly.
thank you in advance for any help

krzyphsygy
04/09/2009, 07:06 PM
Well if your nitrates are at zero probably not. You should get a mag and phosphate kit also, especially since you have a reef with SPS. You need those.

To check the GPH, add all the power heads flow out puts together including your return pump. Remember to subtract the head loss of the return pump. Example:

2 Power heads doing 1500 GPH
1 return pump (after head loss) 500
=3500 GPH
Now divide that into your water volume.
75gl / 3500 = 46.66 times per hr.

You want to be at atleast 30x per hr. 50 is better for me any way.
Thats what I like. The tank really thrives.

If it is getting light, I would not move, check for polyp extension and get mag and phos kits.

Whats wrong with the skimmer? What brand is it?

TUSI
04/09/2009, 07:22 PM
The simmer is Tunze Doc #9020 with the double cup. It is only pulling on one side, that why i think it is only doing half a job.