PDA

View Full Version : 2 reactors or 1

byrdman81
04/08/2009, 06:46 PM
Well i have gotten mixed answers on this in other places and people i have talked to. I have two little fishes reactors that i wanna use on my tank. ONe for carbon and other for phosphate removal. Should i use them both and just tie them both into one pump or should i just use one and separate the two diff medias with a sponge. I have been told both so im not for sure. IF i use the two what pump should i use?

ravedood
04/08/2009, 08:30 PM
IMO I would use both reactors. One for GFO and one for carbon. This way its easier to change the media when needed. I have heard of people hooking them up in series with one pump. You can also use 2 pumps but I guess that would add more heat to the water. You dont need a strong pump. I think a pump that is rated for about 150GPH should be fine. I have mine on a Maxi-jet 404. The reactors should have valves on the input side so you can regulate the input. You dont want the media moving all over the place because that will create a lot of dust. All you need is just a little tumble of media on the surface.

jlinzmaier
04/08/2009, 09:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14789296#post14789296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ravedood
IMO I would use both reactors. One for GFO and one for carbon. This way its easier to change the media when needed. I have heard of people hooking them up in series with one pump. You can also use 2 pumps but I guess that would add more heat to the water. You dont need a strong pump. I think a pump that is rated for about 150GPH should be fine. I have mine on a Maxi-jet 404. The reactors should have valves on the input side so you can regulate the input. You dont want the media moving all over the place because that will create a lot of dust. All you need is just a little tumble of media on the surface.

+1

Carbon is usually changed regularly on a monthly basis. Depending on your po4 levels, your GFO may last much longer. Much less hassel to have them in separate reactors.

Jeremy

greennd79
04/09/2009, 01:10 PM
bulk reef supply carrys the dual chamber reactor i have one and run carbon and gfo and love it. Its easy to change out the media too.

byrdman81
04/09/2009, 01:51 PM
I think i will go with the two separate reactors. So when i use them the output from one reactor goes into the input of the other or do i just tee off from the pump into each individual inputs?

airdog67
04/10/2009, 01:21 AM
I use two reactors, two little fish brands. I hooked them up with one 50 gph pump, and it works great. Run the carbon first and then the pos. If any po4 is leached from carbon it will pass through the pos reactor and hopefully be removed. JMO

byrdman81
04/10/2009, 04:00 AM
how did you all hook two up?

saltwatermadnes
04/10/2009, 12:27 PM
Bulk Reef Supply has a dual reactor which is the same thing you're talking about but its already connected and it connects easily to any maxi jet.. its only $60 which is what you'll be spending on 2 TLF reactor anyways. I love mine its a snap to use. Check it out just saying there are other options..

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Media-Bags-&-Reactors/c109_85/p679/BRS-%22DUAL%22-GFO-and-Carbon-Reactor/product_info.html

mclaman
04/10/2009, 01:16 PM
I've tried a few and BRS's are the best by far.