PDA

View Full Version : Qt ??

birddog486
04/09/2009, 10:20 AM
I'm wondering if you guys can be more specific on your QT process.

I figure with the volume of fish you handle there must be a specific Shotgun proticall for parasite and bacterial eradication for newly aquired fish instead of waiting for problems to arise as once they do it may be too late for treatment and if you can share that info.

Such as Treated with X amount of Praziquantel and X amount of copper at the same time or separately for X amount of days.

Dipped in a formalin bath with X amount of formalin per X amount of water for x amount of time.

I breed and sell one type of freshwater fish and I know it only takes ONE parasite in a system regaurdless of size from 10 gallons to 10,000 that can potentually cause big problems, and I'm a huge believer in a QT..

I figure with the volume of fish you have you would be one of the best sources of info on marine fish QT practices.

Thanks,
Travis

dfs/la2
04/09/2009, 11:25 AM
birddog486,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our quarantine procedures. Due to the variety of species we offer, we are unable to give specific dosing recommendations as they will vary tremendously for each individual species. However, we are including a hyperlink for general quarantine guidelines (http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=425) you may wish to follow. We recommend dosing according to the manufacturer’s instructions for any product you use. Please contact us for any other questions or concerns.

Chris C.
LiveAquaria (http://www.liveaquaria.com)
Drs. Foster and Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com)

birddog486
04/09/2009, 12:09 PM
Chris, thanks for the reply but it's a bit of a genaric response for the question.

I'm not asking for help in a quarantine regimine for my fish.

I was hoping that the vast amount of knowledge that DR F&S and LA has in keeping and treating fish that there is some type of proticall thats followed for each group or species of fish.

I know it's a LARGE amount of information I'm looking for, and thats part of the fun in any hobby, looking for more info. so we can become better at what were trying to accomplish, and unfortunatly the info on a RELIABLE QT process seems to be hard to find.

I guess if LA scopes all the fish and treats for a confirmed parasite or bacteria thats a different story.

If there's not a written QT proticall for LA or Divers Den when you accept fish I really suggest your company take some time and put something together. That would be one more reason for me to support an excellent company with an obvious excellent business plan.

Travis

DFS
04/09/2009, 02:18 PM
Travis,

I wanted to jump in here and personally respond to your post. The protocols we follow in our Aquaculture Coral and Marine Life Facility located in Rhinelander Wisconsin have been put in place from well over 30 years of experience handling marine livestock.

I can assure you that we do in fact have written procedures in place for every type of pest or disease we encounter, with specific treatment protocols for any animal that enters our facility. This includes fish, corals and invertebrates. The detailed information we provide and list on the LiveAquara.com web site is accurate and as specific as possible without disclosing proprietary information.

I would recommend picking up the book titled "Diseases in marine aquarium fish" - Causes-Development-Symptoms-Treatment, by Gerald Bassleer. Dr. Gerald Bassleer is one of the world’s most respected pathobiologists, and this book can be very beneficial when trying to identify specific pathogens, and what medications and dosages to use to control these diseases.

If you have a question regarding the treatment of a specific disease, please feel free to ask and we will be more than happy to guide you in the right direction regarding suggested medications and dosages.

Thank you for your understanding,

Regards,
Kevin Kohen