PDA

View Full Version : Building the world's most powerful LED aquarium light

apricotscrub
04/09/2009, 10:34 AM
Hi DIY LEDers,

I've been very interested recently with the start of my new hobby. I have been reading a lot about LED being the next generation of lighting for aquariums.

I have already ordered the Solaris and AI units for analysis. I am interested in building a LED light that uses the brightest possible LED's available today, cost is not an issue.

From what I heard, evilc66 and zachtos are also trying to do the same thing - could you let me know if following the Solaris light arrangement, and just using 3 LED's instead of the 1 LED they are using in each Rebel Star would be the best solution, assuming everything else is kept the same, including optics?

Thank you for your help in advance, and will share all my data to the community.

schudini
04/09/2009, 12:56 PM
If you are serious, use Cree MC-E's (about 12 watts). They have 4 XR-E's per package. They also generate ALOT of heat.

schudini
04/09/2009, 01:03 PM
You could also get "light engines" in the 50 watt range. Problem is lack of optics. (and insane amounts of heat, would need active cooling, or maybe even water cooling)

EnderG60
04/09/2009, 01:57 PM
someone on here got their hands on 100+watt LED's.

But once you get past the 10w range, you may as well just go to halides.

Nano Chris
04/10/2009, 02:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14792725#post14792725 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by apricotscrub
cost is not an issue.

Lol i wish i could say the same.:lol:

apricotscrub
04/10/2009, 03:58 PM
What about the setup they have here, I think the price on those is around $6500 for the LED setup, what are they using, and how are they housing their LED's.

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2008/05/27/sfiligoi-new-stealth-line-leds-t5s/

RedTC
04/10/2009, 05:26 PM
They are basically just a large lamp holder. Each led is a mr-16 led bulb that just fits into a socket in the fixture. Therefore you can choose what wattage and color to put in, I think the highest they offer is a 3w. They also have a RGB version. Not really the best bang for your buck as the cost of each led is around $40 but if money is no object then i guess it would be a way to go. If you really want to go over the top start looking at 'theatrical fixtures' this one would cost you about the same and is waaaaaaayyyy brighter http://colorkinetics.com/ls/rgb/colorreach/

stugray
04/10/2009, 06:18 PM
I am actually of the belief that 3 Watts is a good LED because you can use a lot of them.
This gives a better spread & disperses the heat evenly over the heatsink.

the 10 watt LEDs might be OK, but anything over that and you will just create really bright spots.

I say if you have the cash, just make 14-16 inch long panels with ~100 LEDs per panel.

This is 300 watts of LED power but will be MUCH brighter than a 400 watt MH bulb ( IMO - I havent tried it yet ).

Then you just build as many panels as you need to cover the tank.

One of the problems as mentioned in the other thread is: you will need to find a high voltage driver or use a LOT of the cheaper buckpucks.

Stu

Soundwave
04/10/2009, 08:45 PM
What is your end result plan? Do you want something for a 10,000 gallon tank or something for an aquapod? I wouldn't focus on having the brightest LEDs around. Do you really want to go balls out and bleach any coral you try to keep or do you want to be sensible and make something that actually works for the purpose?

I remember seeing a rather large thread on LEDs.... somewhere.....

dogstar74
04/10/2009, 08:50 PM
Look into the plasma lights. If price is no object, then you can afford to procure a bulb for testing, and run several spectrum tests on the light output. I guess that will be the next gen of lighting.

widmer
04/10/2009, 10:26 PM
I would also be interested in knowing your motivation. Because if you don't have an enormous aquarium, I'd love to know what the point is.

Plankt0s
04/10/2009, 11:12 PM
I made the mistake when I was new to the hobby that more light is always better. I quickly learned that my 400w halides were too much. You can get (typically) better growth out of 250w and more feeding. I think that the focus on INSANE light is blown out of proportion. I always just set folks up with some 250w halides and call it good.

widmer
04/10/2009, 11:29 PM
I love to go up to Duluth once in a while to get away from it all. It's a big enough town to keep your aquarium maintenance going?

apricotscrub
04/11/2009, 02:03 AM
I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, just make something more powerfull than it currently is, ok heres part 2:

What is the current most powerful LED/T5 setup (with LEDs being the main lighting source) that grow SPS well?

widmer
04/11/2009, 10:19 AM
There already are commercially available LED fixtures which typically can't be run at their full capacity otherwise the light is too much for the corals.

Are these peculiarly broad questions for commercial reasons?