PDA

View Full Version : lookin for some cheap corals

elmatth1
04/10/2009, 08:42 AM
Well, looks like i've joined the group of people getting back into the hobby after a short layoff. Some of you may know me from when I sold off everything from my 75g and 25g over a year ago here in Mount Zion.

Now that I'm starting over, I was wondering if anyone has any cheap lps, sps, or zoa frags they'd like to offer me. I have about 14 varieties of sps from a frag pack I just got this past week, so i'm really looking for some unique zoas, green cap, purple tip frogspawn, pink tip frogspawn, and maybe some other lps/sps. The guy I bought the frag pack from was supposed to substitute a purple tip frogspawn for the rainbow monti he had in the frag pack, but he didn't, so i'd really like to pick up a few heads of the purple tip frogspawn.

I'm going to post a build thread when I get everything growing good. The tank's been up and running for a couple months now, so what little cycle I had is over with. My wife will probably divorce me over all the money spent so far. We both forgot just how expensive this hobby is!

So if anyone has anything to offer, I'd appreciate it!

syrinx
04/10/2009, 01:15 PM
Welcome back! I am sure you will find lots of folks will to frag.

elmatth1
04/11/2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks, I hope someone has something to offer. I went by Reef FX in Decatur and bought some zoa's, but they didn't really have much of a selection for LPS or SPS. Actually, didn't really have much as far as unique zoa's either.

karlm
04/11/2009, 02:21 PM
You are going to have to go to JRE in Normal for the good stuff.

syrinx
04/11/2009, 02:31 PM
Both places are hit and miss. Both can be great- or low stocked. One can imagine the cash flow issues for the hobby business-esp Reef FX with their saltwater only model.

elmatth1
04/11/2009, 05:13 PM
I really don't know how these places ever stay in business. Especially when it's so much cheaper to get coral from other hobbyists... that is, if you don't have to have it shipped! $50.00 for shipping though kinda takes away from the lower cost of the frags.

syrinx
04/11/2009, 05:20 PM
Liveaquaria is 35 bucks for up to 300$ worth of stuff. I got 12 ricordia frags for 100 bucks+shipping- no where can touch the quality for the price- including shipping. For 10 frags there were 10 quad bagged bags- super well done and worth every penny.

elmatth1
04/12/2009, 11:36 AM
I just went to liveaquaria's website, seems they don't have much to offer in way of lps, sps, zoa's. I've always had good experiences buying from them in the past though. I also like dealing with premiumaquatics, maybe i'll see what shipping is through them. Never bought any coral through them though.

syrinx
04/12/2009, 12:59 PM
I always use divers den and the weekly specials on liveauaria. Dr mac is good too and is having a 40% off sale right now for easter. That makes the LPS like trachys and whatnot worth the shipping.

Rustylugnuts
04/12/2009, 06:44 PM
Fishin times in pekin is in the middle of adding a bunch of coral display tanks. The 4 he has so far have a good selection. They've even chopped up colonies so I could get some frags on a couple occasions.

Rustylugnuts
04/13/2009, 02:27 PM
I got some green star polyps I'm lookin to get rid of. 3 fully colonized 4-5" rocks $ 10 each or 20 for all 3.

elmatth1
04/13/2009, 08:35 PM
Rustylugnuts,

Thanks for the offer. I'm kinda lookin to have a mainly sps tank with a few lps/zoas, so i'll have to pass. Plus, I was hoping to find something a little closer to Decatur. A two hour drive in my Ford F250 would kill me on gas!

I thought I would have more people willing to frag some sps/lps around here. Looks like I'll be making a trip to champain and normal to see what the selection is like at those places.

Vitaly
04/13/2009, 09:39 PM
If you are gonna be in Champaign...shoot me a PM. I fragged things a while ago, but I may be able to get some frags depending on what you are looking for. I have mostly LPS and softies in my tank.

elmatth1
04/14/2009, 12:31 PM
Vitaly,

Champaign is only about 45 mins from me, so i could make a trip out that way if you have something i'd be interested in. My tank is a 20 long, so i'm trying to be picky about what I put in it so I don't overcrowd the tank.

Let me know what kind of LPS or zoa's you have and I might be interested in making the trip.

Rustylugnuts
04/30/2009, 09:08 PM
Give imsracing from bnarc a pm. I snagged some cool zoos from him and he had some cool SPS an LPS when I last saw him. F250 even in diesel ouch! Im goin to really miss the days of big v8's.