PDA

View Full Version : flame angels and corals

fryeguy82
04/10/2009, 11:13 AM
i've heard mixed reviews about flame angels eating corals. i've heard some people say that they've never touched their corals and i've heard others say that they've destroyed their corals. the corals i have are the fleshy kind that i've heard of them eating (zoas, gsp, toadstools, and mushrooms) anybody else have any experience with flame angels and corals

thanks,
chris

DamnPepShrimp
04/10/2009, 11:18 AM
It all depends on the fish. I got mine from a fellow hobbyist that was picking on his corals (mainly acros and pagoda cup) but he didn't feed too often. I have had the flame in my tank filled with zoas, brains, toadstools, leathers, hammers, frogspawn, torch, mushrooms, xenia, kenya, GSP, clams, some SPS, etc etc etc and there has been no picking from what I can see. I feed pretty heavily, 2-4 times a day, pellets and frozen foods. Also lots to pick on in my reef (algaes, pods etc), its well established and its a 120g display, the previous owner was a 30g I believe.

fryeguy82
04/10/2009, 12:13 PM
If they prefer algae over coral then i should be ok as i have some green algae growing in my tank. i would also be able to feed the tank 3 times daily (beginning, middle, and end of daylight cycle) If tank size is the issue i may have a problem as mine would be going into a 30 aswell. i guess i'll have to continue weighing the options as these are quite pricey near me. $80 US. :/

reefworm
04/10/2009, 03:52 PM
Centropyge sp. are all hit or miss when it comes to coral nipping. There's no way to predict if or when they'll start. My Coral Beauty was fine for over 8 months then nipped and killed an open brain. I've also kept Flames and Eblii. You'll see all kinds of anecdotal evidence about good behavior, but they're all one-case inductions - no real bearing on what any other individual specimen will do. You're right that heavy feeding in a 30 can become an issue. If you go that route make sure you've got lots of nutrient transport - skimming, growing macro, etc. FWIW, I've decided against keeping dwarf angels, even though they're my favorite for color, shape and movement. I just value the corals too much to take the chance again. Have a capture plan that doesn't involve tearing the tank down if you put one in. sorry to be on the negative side of this, but experience has made me wary. Good Luck!

jewcy240
04/10/2009, 05:00 PM
I agree with DamnPepShrimp, it dpends on the fish, I'd feed a lot to keep my fish fat and happy, but run a skimmer to save my water parameters.

CRE1984
04/10/2009, 10:27 PM
I've heard any angel in a reef is hit or miss. If you want color in a fish there are other safer fish.