PDA

View Full Version : New tank set up

seprock
04/11/2009, 06:12 PM
OK, so I just got my new RSM set up. I filled with tap water just to make sure there are no leaks, and all pumps work ok. Making my RO water now. When it is done, I will drain the tap water and fill with my RO water. After that point, I am not 100% sure my next step. Do I need to put salt in right away, or wait a few days? After I put my salt in, then what, live rock right away??

thegrun
04/11/2009, 06:17 PM
Ordinarily you mix the salt/water outside the aquarium, but as it is a new tank, you could mix it in the tank, but you will not know exactly how much water to mix (probably 80% of your tank's total volume. Yes, add the live rock right away, along with your sand if you plan on having sand.

Michael
04/12/2009, 01:19 AM
well we all have our own ways, not disagreeing with grun at all, but id personally fil the tank with salted ro-di and run it for 24-48 hours until its clear and up to temperature, then add your rock, and after a day or 2 when your totally satisfied with the finished layout add 1" of fine or medium grade aragonite sand around the rocks to hide the glass bottom, turn the powerheads off whilst doing this, you will get a bit of sand blowing about but it wont take long to settle and then when it does you will be pleased you did it this way as no sand will be under the rocks.

as said this is just another way, not saying its the best, just my views

stricknine
04/12/2009, 02:16 AM
I threw in a 1/2" of sand, structured my live rock (easier when it is dry, and promotes a bit of dieoff to start the cycle), more sand to suit, and topped off with salt water (i mix it in 5gal buckets, easy). Throwing in LR with water prior to salt is like a fresh water dip. Will kill off a lot of hitch hikers, some good, some bad.

PAZE
04/12/2009, 05:46 AM
The problem with filling first the adding sand and rock is it will overflow if its topped off with water, the best way that I find is add your sand then your rock, its alot easyer to aquascape with no water, just make sure you have enough water to fill the tank so you rock is not exposed all day while your makeing water.

tspors
04/12/2009, 07:58 AM
What I did in my 150 was filled full with water then added salt to mix up proper salinity. I let it run for 2 weeks to mix and acclimate. I then siphoned off 60 gallons off added my 200+ lbs of LR refilled the tank with siphoned water. Then added the sand, kept the remaining water for water change. I then let tank sit and cycle for 2 months before adding CUC. I think I have some pics in gallery. My plumbing in no longer under the tank. It is all in the basement.

wab
04/12/2009, 08:19 AM
Its easier When you know how much salt for the mixture. I use 2 cups for a 5 gal pail and its the salinity i want. Takes the guess work out. Good luck