PDA

View Full Version : need to relocate xenia?

FavaBean
04/11/2009, 09:55 PM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq257/michaelmoreno1983/SN853082.jpg
Well I picked up this frag of xenia on wed. when I picked it up it was open and extended... just curious if they take awhile to open up... I am also worried about the flow... they are in a pretty medium flow... I have read they usually need a soft one... tested water and everything is fine... they were under vhos high in the tank and now they are under pcs... any advice would be greatful...

Sisterlimonpot
04/11/2009, 10:00 PM
in regards to your tank where did you place it? and your going to get this from someone so it might as well be me.... post your water params.... what where the params of the tank it came out of (if you know)? What did you do to acclimate it? even if everything went right it could take a few weeks before it opens back up, it may have to get used to the less intense lighting. .

FavaBean
04/11/2009, 10:08 PM
I placed it at about six inches from the top of the tank.... grrr always one thing i forget to post lol.. all my params are in check... the tank where it came from those params where in check... I did the drip method for about a hour... so when would I need to think about relocating it?.... thanks sister

Denbf58
04/12/2009, 06:33 AM
you should always start new corals low in the tank and then work them up to where you want them so they can get adjusted to the light inyour tank

sohal1025
04/12/2009, 06:43 AM
Xenia are very fragile in my opinion. Alot of times they will not make the transformation.

wab
04/12/2009, 07:42 AM
+1 for the sensitive, my z only lasted for two weeks and nothing changed in my water parameters??????????

FavaBean
04/12/2009, 08:53 AM
Yeah... usually I do start them on the bottom but it came on a large rock and the top is only place I could put it... I am going to give it a week and if it does not improve I will move it... I have read about how sensitive they are... if it does not make it I will not try another one... I am still worried about the flow it is getting... kind of strong... getting the same flow as the gsp...

Flipper62
04/12/2009, 09:47 AM
I just add some Pom Pom xenias to by office BioCube. The only place that I coud put them was right under the return. I was just going to put them there untill I moved some things. They were waving in the flow pretty good so I thought that I better move them.......WELL......The frag was a 1 inch round plug. It has been doing so well that the xenias have spread to about a 3 x 4 inch area. It did take the xenias about 3 days before they looked good when I first added them.

I did a water change last week & a few rocks fell. I had to take the rock with the xenias out temporarily so I could restack the rocks. It took then around 2 days to come back again. Infact just yeatsrday I see that a few pods have branched off & started growing on the rock right next to the other rock.

I cant seem to kill them.......Not that I want to

thegrun
04/12/2009, 09:55 AM
Mine grow like weeds, and a few have spread and anchored themselves right next to my returns, so they get a lot of flow and light. Xenia's seem to be a strange coral, some have trouble with them, for others they become a nuisance, spreading like weeds. I would try to move yours, but I would move it towards more flow and light, not less.

FavaBean
04/12/2009, 12:11 PM
well now I know notice alittle bit of brown is showing up... that can not be good

FavaBean
04/12/2009, 07:50 PM
A bump for the night people

slakker187
04/12/2009, 08:15 PM
are you adding iodide. xenias love it. and yeah mine grow like crazy. i tried to erradicate my pom-poms three times and gave up now i just prune the crap out of them. put them in the middle of the tank, add iodide with a medium-low flow and you cant lose.