PDA

View Full Version : Coraline Algae

FullFathomFive
04/12/2009, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know how I can grow coraline without having to purchase live rock? A starter pack or something along that line?

Fluid
04/12/2009, 12:29 PM
I'm not positive, but maybe this will work?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12799

Kwikdraw
04/12/2009, 12:31 PM
Checkout www.ipsf.com/corallinebooster.html.

I started with dry rock only. I have coralline growing on my power heads and rocks and it's only been about 6 weeks since placing it in my DT.

Gary Majchrzak
04/12/2009, 12:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14811538#post14811538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FullFathomFive
Does anyone know how I can grow coraline without having to purchase live rock? A starter pack or something along that line?
get some coralline scrapings from a fellow reefer or your LFS.

for all practical purposes the easiest method to obtain coralline is to purchase a small rock with some growing on it. You can't use "coralline fertilizers" to grow coralline you don't already have!

alextheromanian
04/12/2009, 12:40 PM
purpule up will only HELP it grow...you actually have to have some already in there...ive never tried them but those coraline booster sheets seem to be ok....or like gary said ...get someone to hook you up with some scrapings....in a mature tank this stuff grows out of control on the glass and it has to be cleaned off so they might aswell just give you some rather than brush it off and let it fall around on the sand.

Sisterlimonpot
04/12/2009, 03:43 PM
just curious... why no live rock?

Kwikdraw
04/12/2009, 06:47 PM
In my situation the two main reasons was price and unwanted hitchhikers. Dry rock compared with live rock can be as much as 1/4 cheaper ($2 vs $8-$10) and while doing my research I heard to many horror stories about hitchhikers that have been introduced into systems that are now giving people fits.

With a few scrapping for an established tank or a coralline plate it all equals the same at a much cheaper price.

Sisterlimonpot
04/12/2009, 11:38 PM
fair enough. are you going to introduce pods to your tank as well?