PDA

View Full Version : oh man I hate to even ask this question...

Reefjeeper
04/12/2009, 09:05 PM
But I am finally taking that step and ready for a skimmer. I have been trying to run my tank without one for a few years now and never seem to get my params to stay stable for a solid amount of time. So I guess the next step is a skimmer. Right??

I have a 72 bowfront. about a 30 gallon sump. and a pretty healthy stock list. Only a few corals but 7 fish and an anemone.

I've been looking at the Octo Extreme 160 since I really don't have much room in my sump. Is this the direction I should be heading? or is there a better skimmer for the price range 250 to 300?? I know absolutely nothing about skimmers, not going to lie and blow smoke in here. I have a good friend who says I would be happy with that one but I have no idea what to look for or anything.

I know buying a skimmer is like choosing an icecream at baskenrobbins, way too many to choose from. Help me out please if possible!

My biggest problem is that my wonderful choice in having a bowfront**(still regretting that one)** makes space the biggest issue in the world. But of course I would like to get something that will kick some skimmate butt and last the long haul.

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ryan

sjm817
04/12/2009, 09:34 PM
I prefer the MSX160 over the Octo160 since the pinwheel it comes with is quite a bit better.

dc_909
04/12/2009, 10:16 PM
I love my WM150

waynem
04/12/2009, 10:42 PM
I think just like your ice cream example after the first bite you it will not matter which you pick as most are good.

Reefjeeper
04/12/2009, 11:46 PM
I was just reading that they have a new purple pinwheel for the pump on the octo and it is a whole lot better than the one shipped with it. Does anyone know anything about this? Would that make it equal to the MSX?

tkeracer619
04/13/2009, 12:14 AM
I have an octo 160. They are awesome skimmers for the footprint. Not sure about the different pinwheels but can vouch for the skimmer itself.

schneijt
04/13/2009, 12:38 AM
Someone compared the Octo Extreme vs MSX using the same pinwheel, and the Octo Extreme pulls a little more air if all other things are the same. The 160 from MSX would probably be best for you if you want the 160. The MSX pinwheel pulls a good amount of air, and most people find that the mesh is just too much air for the smaller body size of the 160.

Now, if you were going for the 200, there's a Purple Pinwheel (PPW) you can buy from Reef Specialty. It's made by ATB (same company as the super sexy cone skimmers) and pulls a little more air than the MSX pinwheel. They use it on their econo line of skimmers that use the same Sicce pumps as the MSX/Octo Extreme. So, for the 200 and larger skimmers, the PPW looks to be the best option at this time.

If you can fit it in your sump, I think the Octo Extreme 200 w/ PPW would be a great choice for you. I run it on my 75gal (a bit over 100gal total volume) and like it. I have a slightly louder Sicce than most others, but it skims well and is very easy to work with. If you can't fit the 200 in there, then I'd probably go with an MSX 160.

-Joe

Reefjeeper
04/13/2009, 09:58 AM
well I just checked my measurements again and it looks like I have to go with a 160.

Schneijt- I have heard that mesh is a pain to deal with anyway with these things, always having to adjust and trim etc. I see that the octo 200 and 160 both use the same pump. could I just use the bigger Purple Pinwheel in the 160 and pull some good amount of air and still have the reliability? And at that point since you said the msx compared to the octo ex, the octo was a bit better for air, would that put it over the edge and make it even better? Or is the bigger ppw too big for the OE160?

sjm817
04/13/2009, 10:01 AM
The thing is, the MSX PW works very well (you dont need a different one), and comes with the skimmer. The PPW is another $30.

Reefjeeper
04/13/2009, 10:08 AM
Right, but with shipping from Marine Solutions, the MSX 160 works out to be about 300 bucks, and I found that I can have the octo ex 160 and the PPW which total 300 bucks shipped for free. So all in all it would be the same price so far.

Would there be enough of a difference in performance for me to want the octo ex 160 with the PPW over the MSX 160 stock?

They look to be the exact same skimmer to me just different labels, but like I have said, I know really nothing about this stuff still trying to figure it all out.

sjm817
04/13/2009, 10:16 AM
They have a free shipping code for the MSX that I think is still active. In order of performance I would say...

PPW
MSX (close to PPW)
small PPW
stock Octo

mojo~
04/13/2009, 10:26 AM
about 30 scfh on the large ppw, 24 with the msx wheel, 22 to 24 with the small ppw and about 18 with the CV (octoX) pinwheel. THe msxand octox are exactly the same other than the reducer venturi on the sicce pump. and the pinwheel they come with.
Small foot print skimmers
MSX 160
MRC ocean force 100
etss sumpbuddy 40
bk mini 160

THe msx skimmer is probably a better deal as you dont need the large ppw on the 160. I liked it but its not needed. Good luck.
I have owned both MSX and octo in the 160 and 200 sizes