PDA

View Full Version : Fell asleep with RO/DI running

sondaar
04/13/2009, 12:32 PM
I was making water for a water change and decided to take a nap. The kids were suppose to get me up in an hour and decided it would be nice to let daddy rest since he was so tired! SO 3 hour later I awake felling refreshed and woundering why I wasn't awoken by my little angels? Oh well all was good then 1 hr later I remeber the RO/DI is runnning :eek: I run to the garage and the water is 3" from spiling over the trash can :) Brought the salinity up and my 10g water change. Will the unused saltwater be good 7 days from now? Do I need to keep a power head in it untill Im ready to do more changes or can it sit idle with a lid on it?

Thanks

Rjukan
04/13/2009, 12:38 PM
I would put a ph in there because I have one, but for only 7 days I highly doubt it matters.

der_wille_zur_macht
04/13/2009, 12:48 PM
It'll be fine without circulation. If it does sit still, just be sure to aerate it a bit and get it up to temp before using it.

jgln
04/13/2009, 12:52 PM
I am disappointed. I thought I was going to hear about a tragic story that would help me feel better. :mad:

This happened about 1.5 years ago but I went to BED with the RO/DI running and didn’t find out until about 8 hours later when we woke up. Not only was the bathroom flooded upstairs but so was the basement. Had to take the day off to mop and dry everything. Good thing I had the waste going in the sink (already filled up buckets of dirty water previously). So just for that I am not even going to answer your question!
:D

sondaar
04/13/2009, 01:07 PM
:D LOL jgln thats a whole nother story when I had the flew and somehow forgot to put waste line of the RO/DI into the mob sink:rolleye1: Flooded laundry room and many unpacked boxes, wife at work, me with 102 temp wet vacing, moving boxes, unpacking boxes to make sure nothing was ruined and by the way that was 9 days ago today and why I also bought the trash can instead of using the 5gallon bucket that also overlowed.

Thanks for the answere guys!

jgln
04/13/2009, 01:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14817422#post14817422 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sondaar
:D LOL jgln thats a whole nother story when I had the flew and somehow forgot to put waste line of the RO/DI into the mob sink:rolleye1: Flooded laundry room and many unpacked boxes, wife at work, me with 102 temp wet vacing, moving boxes, unpacking boxes to make sure nothing was ruined and by the way that was 9 days ago today and why I also bought the trash can instead of using the 5gallon bucket that also overlowed.

Thanks for the answere guys!

:lol:

I didn't say it was the ONLY time, just the worst time. :o

We have only been in the house 2 years but ever since we have been in danger of losing our jobs and who knows maybe the house too so I am hesitant to make modifications that may bring down the value. My idea was to do the water in the basement with a big heavy duty rubbermaid trashcan (I brought two just sitting), use an ATO if possible or use a timer/alarm system for shut off. We have a sink in the basement. I would then pump the water up from the basement to the first floor or directly to the tank with an ATO system for the tank.
These times are tough. :(

abulgin
04/13/2009, 02:18 PM
That's why I keep my RO/DI collection tub in my utility sink--so when I forget and it overflows, it goes down the drain.

As for the question about what to do with the spare water, you should aerate it with a power head, air stone, whatever so that you "burn off" all the CO2 that's trapped in the water.

jgln
04/13/2009, 02:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14817804#post14817804 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by abulgin
That's why I keep my RO/DI collection tub in my utility sink--so when I forget and it overflows, it goes down the drain.

As for the question about what to do with the spare water, you should aerate it with a power head, air stone, whatever so that you "burn off" all the CO2 that's trapped in the water.

When I lived in an apartment that is what I did but with the house the full bath is too far away from my tank so I use the 1/2 bath which is right around the corner.

IslandCrow
04/13/2009, 02:30 PM
As stated, you can keep saltwater pretty much indefinitely. I mix up almost 50g at a time and use it over the course of about a month. I have a powerhead in the bin, but I usually only run it (along with a heater when necessary) a few hours or so before I do my water change.

More important, I'd suggest getting one of those water faucet timers from the hardware store (I think they're $10 or less). You'll want to get one of the ones that goes purely by time. There are others that shut off based on how much water volume passes through, but it seems there isn't enough water flow for them to work when hooked up to an RO/DI. The max time you can use on the non-digital timer meters is usually 2 hrs, but it sure beats flooding your basement, which I've done on more than one occasion.

stadler51
04/13/2009, 06:46 PM
I cut a hole in the side of my brute can and used a uniseal and some pvc to make a drain into my utility sink. That way if I forget to turn the water off it will drain to the sink when it reaches the uniseal.

Map69
04/13/2009, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry but I laughed when I saw the first post. I also recently fell asleep while I had the r/o unit running. In my case I set the alarm on my cell phone but I set it for am and not pm. So now I don't feel as bad. I must be working to much. Sorry to hear that happened but at least you made me feel better!