PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a RO unit? (beginner)

papania
04/13/2009, 06:39 PM
I am 3 weeks into my cycle and everything is going good. I am just debating if I need to purchase an RO unit? Could someone please provide some advise from your experiences?

thanks,

acrouse
04/13/2009, 06:56 PM
I would highly recommend a RO/DI unit. It plays such a role in good water quality-and thats our #1 goal in reefkeeping. HIGHEST WATER QUALITY possible!
I am still new myself (3+years) and my RO/DI unit is the best money spent so far to help alleviate my water problems.

When I started, I was treating tap water and had no tank problems at first, then I started adding more bioload to my tank and the algea problems started. After help from many on RC, I realized I was adding un-needed phosphates to my tank and feeding the algea from using tap water. Once I got my RO/DI unit, the algea disappeared. I feel its well worth the money and would really suggest getting one.

Hope this helps
jolene

mflamb
04/13/2009, 06:56 PM
You have no idea what is really in your water if you are not using a RO/DI unit.
I wouldn't have a reef without one.
The idea is a maximized reef environment for our creatures, not a minimal environment.

papajojo
04/13/2009, 07:38 PM
i am in this hobby for ~ 2 years i would have paid for my ro unit 4 times over till i finally bought it dumb move on my part. for ~200$ you can pick up everything u need and more. for less than 40$ a good salt and then make ur own water. also what happens if ur fishstore is closed and u have an emergency, leak, death, spike of some sort and NEED that instant water change? also lugging containers gets old. the only good reason to get ro from ur lfs is to have a good excuse (in your mind) to go there once a week. just my 2 cents GL

DocG
04/13/2009, 07:46 PM
I would say that it is almost as important as that glass box you use to keep the fish in.

Unless you like algae.

ulua56
04/13/2009, 08:36 PM
Start off right, with 0-1 TDS Water.

murraycamp
04/13/2009, 09:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14819910#post14819910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DocG
I would say that it is almost as important as that glass box you use to keep the fish in.

+1

Map69
04/13/2009, 09:03 PM
I have to agree. I went for a long time without one because I had a fish only tank. When I started my 29 reef I purchased one and I have to say I haven't been happier. The tank is healthy and thriving. I now use r/o water in both my tanks and would highly recommend that you buy one. I used to have a lot of hair algae growth in my old 135 due to using tap water and now that isn't a problem in either of my tanks. I would venture to say that's it is a must have for a healthy tank. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Pike614
04/13/2009, 09:08 PM
YES, you need to purchase one.....one of the most important parts of a reef tank!

lucas73
04/13/2009, 09:33 PM
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/
Agree with all above post,I purchased the Ocean Reef + 1 75gpd unit for my set up,the initial cost of the unit is a little,but well worth it.Do your self a favor and buy one you wont regret it.Good luck with your tank:thumbsup:

Pike614
04/14/2009, 06:41 AM
save some money and get it from Bulk Reef Supply. They have the highest quality and best prices by far! IMO, you don't need more than 50 Gallons Per day, especially if you have glass tops. SO it'd only be $150 or so for a nice unit.
check them out! bulkreefsupply.com

RokleM
04/14/2009, 09:14 AM
Replied in your other thread.

96p993
04/14/2009, 10:19 AM
Do you NEED it?? No you dont NEED one, many people have run successful aquariums without the use of RODI water.

Will it make success a bit easier for you in the long and short term? Yes, eliminating as many outside unknowns as possible is a good idea. The cost of the unit is not that expensive and will last a long time...It is a wise investment