PDA

View Full Version : Drill or HOB Overflow?

Nipper
04/13/2009, 07:06 PM
I'm not new to saltwater fishkeeping in general, but it has been about 15 years since I have started a setup (have only done FOWLR). I now have an empty 75 gal Oceanic that is not predrilled. Any opinions on whether to have it drilled or use a HOB overflow? (It's an older tank, so I am thinking it only has tempered glass on the bottom, but would be taking a little risk there I guess).

Thanks in advance...I'm just starting to make a plan for the tank - I'm excited to get back into the hobby now that we own a home and I can have a larger tank!

kraze3
04/13/2009, 07:23 PM
I think drilling is better and cleaner looking. While some HOB overflows such as lifereef are supposed to be very reliable I still think drilling is the best way to go.

Toddrtrex
04/13/2009, 07:42 PM
I have a 75 with a LifeReef HOB on it, but if the tank wasn't already running when I added a sump I would have had it drilled.

smalls383
04/13/2009, 08:04 PM
Some people on here have HOB overflows and swear by them....however its just something else to fail.

My opinion, drilling is MUCH LESS prone to fail then a HOB overflow. Note how I said less because nothing in a tank can be completely accident free.

If you have the chance, by all means drill the tank before water is in it. Some LFS will do it for about $20. Many people dont have the ability to drill the tank because the tank is already set up.....just my 2$

Stetson
04/13/2009, 08:39 PM
Make sure its not tempered if drilling.

loosecannon
04/13/2009, 10:08 PM
Drill!

Uncle Salty 05
04/14/2009, 09:03 AM
HOB!!!
With an aqua lifter failures are a thing of the past.
Drilling there is always a chance of chipping or cracking then you will need to replace the tank.
In over 20 years I have never had a HOB fail - ever.

Delr3
04/14/2009, 09:18 AM
Drill it. I was once thinking the same thing as you. I went to the lfs and that was all it took for me, so much cleaner looking and more reliable. If you are worried about the glass being tempered you can use some polarized glasses to check the glass. If the glass is tempered and you have the glassed on you will see waves in the glass if it is tempered, if no waves then its not tempered. Hope that helps.