PDA

View Full Version : I'm Going To Be A Father!! Baby Clown Question?

MileHighFish
04/13/2009, 08:15 PM
Hello after a year of my Ocellaris Clowns being together they have finally laid eggs on the rock behind the Anemone they host in. I'm new to fish that breed, is there any chance of them surviving or are they just fish food for the tank? I was thinking if they go into the anemone they may have a chance but I feel that just wishful thinking.. Thanks for any help.

tkeracer619
04/13/2009, 08:20 PM
Fish food.

They will be eaten if not collected and if you collect them you will need to feed them with live cultures.

Now that they are laying eggs let them be, get the book clownfishes, and start up some food cultures. That is if you really want to give it a shot on a future batch of eggs.

MileHighFish
04/13/2009, 08:23 PM
Thank you for the response. Is it difficult to culture live food for the future generations? It might be fun to start doing this to off set some cost and just to add a new dimension to the hobby.

snorvich
04/13/2009, 08:56 PM
I suggest the book "Clownfishes" by Joyce Wilkerson. Everything you need to know!

MileHighFish
04/13/2009, 09:09 PM
I'll look into ordering her book, thanks

ludnix
04/13/2009, 09:16 PM
I don't know how much you'd get for the clowns, but I'm somewhat doubtful you'd recoup much money from raising them. I would do it for the experience, as it's unlikely it will become a fruitful business.

MileHighFish
04/13/2009, 09:19 PM
O sorry I wasn't really thinking of making any type of profit, maybe just a trade with the lfs, or like you said for fun/experiance :)