PDA

View Full Version : Elle's Red Sea 130

Elle.K
04/14/2009, 06:55 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to the hobby and as a girl reef keeper it looks like I'm in the minority. I'm just getting started with my first tank, and I've decided to go with the Red Sea Max 130 because of the simplicity of getting everything all in one package. Also, it is comparatively cheaper than piecing together a tank. My father is going to be building me a stand for the tank and I'm looking for a gallons to pounds conversion factor to estimate the weight the stand will need to hold. Can someone help me out?

I plan to do a small reef tank with some fish. My intentions are to purchase 2-3 larger colonys and then some tiny frags from the LFS. I'll also be getting fish from them. The good thing about my LFS is they will buy back or give credit on anything you get from them. So, with my smaller tank size, if a fish or coral gets to be to big, I can trade it in for a smaller one again.

Any thoughts for which fish or corals I should give a shot to? I know I want a clown or two. Other than that, I'm wide open; though my wife does like the dasiy polop corals. She also kind of likes frogspawn.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/217391the_future.jpg What I'd like to achieve.

Elle

Jadams
04/14/2009, 04:47 PM
Welcome to Reef Central Elle :D

In regards to your father building you a stand and the weight factor your asking about. Simply use the link below...Type in the LxWxH of the tank, and the system will automatically set up the plans for you.

http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php

As far as your fish/coral stocking plans, I would go with some of these fish:

Clowns
Gobies
Basslets
Pygmy Angels

And since you said the RedSea MAX 130 (which I believe is around 65gallons) you can even add a small tang too.

Blue Tang
Yellow Tang

But make sure you get a 1"-1.5" baby so you give it alot of room to grow. :D

Good luck with your tank. Be sure to post some pics once you have it all set up.

I hope the link above helps you out with your stand :thumbsup:

username in use
04/14/2009, 09:50 PM
tangs poop alot and ive heard that the skimmers on the max may not be up to that.

cerobbins
04/14/2009, 10:00 PM
I believe the Red Sea Max 130 is the 34 gallon version. If this is true you should stay away from tangs and most angels (some dwarf species will be fine).

manhorsedog
04/14/2009, 10:05 PM
one thing to think about is heat. Yu might need a chiller with that tank. The solana would also be a nice tank to think about.

Elle.K
04/15/2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. It is a 34 gallon tank so I know the fish will need to be small ones.