View Full Version : Tang Tank

islandboyalec
04/14/2009, 07:34 AM
If I were to try and create a Hawaiin biotope (fowlr), and I wanted to keep-
yellow tang
naso tang
unicorn tang
whitecheek tang
achilles tang (I'm aware of the fish's "track-record")
a flame angel
and a butterfly-fish (auriga), would a 210 gallon (60"x28"x30"), bb, with a BIG euroreef rc skimmer be large enough? If not, how large of a set-up would I need (I like really like the tangs and butterflies.) Thanks...

DamnPepShrimp
04/14/2009, 10:15 AM
Well the unicorn and naso tangs get huge, needing a minimum of 8ft, if not bigger. Achilles will need 6-8ft as well, and lots of flow/room to zip around the tank. I don't know much about the whitecheek, are you referring to the "false" powder brown? 60" just isn't going to cut it with this stock list unforunately. I love the biotope theme though.

islandboyalec
04/14/2009, 11:35 AM
I meant a gold rim (its called "whitecheeck" on liveaquaria.) Would a 9'x3'x2'tall acrylic aquarium be O.K for these fish? There is an aquarium of this size, with dual overflows in the back, for $1,000 on craigslist. I'm trying to work with different ideas, so I only have to purchase one aquarium now (as compared to saving up for one in the future.) How difficult/expensive would it be to provide flow in this oddly shaped tank? :confused:

anbosu
04/14/2009, 12:28 PM
The new Koralia magnums are reasonably priced and if you got a few of those I think you would be covered. How many gallons does that translate to? With that size I would think the only fish you would have an issue with would be the unicorn tang, everything else (as far as I know) would be fine for life.

ironmics
04/14/2009, 12:48 PM
It would be around 400 by my calculations

islandboyalec
04/14/2009, 02:03 PM
Sorry, I got the dimensions a little off... it's 10'x3'x2':D , about 450 gallons. I should be able to buy the tank within the next few weeks (a bit more than I previously planned to spend), but If I can keep the fish I REALLY want, than it's worth the wait. (p.s. I was planning on using a euroreef rc skimmer. what size would I need? Also, I wanted to use the minimum amount of live-rock, to maximize swimming room, so, could I go with about 10x water turnover per hour, and just cap the outlets with penductors? (the tank would be a barebottom, by the way, with a black piece of cutting-board hooked to the bottom.) Any help would be appreciated:)

islandboyalec
04/14/2009, 02:35 PM
Oh yah, one more question... could a single reeflo hammerhead provide enough flow for the tank? (The tank's 10' long, but I only plan on putting a hundred or so pounds of rock in the center, between the two overflows.)???

Recty
04/14/2009, 02:36 PM
I think if you're going to do a Hawaiian biotope, you should throw in a school of convict tangs, at least 3 or 4 of them. They are cheap, hardy and I think they look good plus you always see them in Hawaii. They get along well with other fish and each other and would be some good action in the tank.

islandboyalec
04/14/2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the idea:) ... This is the reason why I want a large aquarium, so I can accomodate a large number of fish (I want to stick to tangs, a butterfly, and an angel or two... stuff that isn't skittish, that swims around the open.)

ironmics
04/14/2009, 02:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14825004#post14825004 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Recty
I think if you're going to do a Hawaiian biotope, you should throw in a school of convict tangs, at least 3 or 4 of them. They are cheap, hardy and I think they look good plus you always see them in Hawaii. They get along well with other fish and each other and would be some good action in the tank.
That's what I was thinking too. I was watching the coral seas episode of Blue Planet the other day and love the convict tang scene.

islandboyalec
04/14/2009, 03:11 PM
I'll be sure to add the convict tangs to the list... Is it possible to rig the single reeflo hammerhead so It provides enough flow for the entire tank?

Recty
04/14/2009, 03:18 PM
It's possible. If you used the Hammerhead on a closed loop and didnt use it as a return pump and to power a skimmer, the 5500 gph or so it provides should be enough for a 450 gallon tank. Personally, I'd prefer more. Tangs really seem to enjoy having some good flow, the entire tank doesnt have to be a white frothing mess but it also shouldnt be stagnant anywhere either.

If you had the Hammerhead just provide flow, plus had a pump doing return flow from a sump, you'll probably be pushing more like 7000 gph, then you shouldnt have issues with low flow areas.

Of course, you'll have to really be good with your closed loop to make it so only one pump creates flow over an entire 450g tank :)

NarakuAulonocar
04/14/2009, 05:20 PM
Nice. I have a Blue hepatus tang

DamnPepShrimp
04/14/2009, 06:46 PM
Definitely go with the 450g! A group of convicts would be amazing! I think your planning on using the hammerhead as your return? I would say no, it wouldn't provide enough flow. You'll need to add a few powerheads. I like BB tanks with a lot of flow, that way you can keep the detrius suspended and get it down to your skimmer.

islandboyalec
04/14/2009, 07:05 PM
I want to try an make the circulation system as inline as possible (I'd like to avoid the use of powerheads... I'd use vortechs though, but their kind pricey.) Is their a single pump that would power my filtration system, and circulation system (like a 10,000gph super-pump?):confused:

islandboyalec
04/14/2009, 07:29 PM
I've just run into my first limitation for this aquarium:( ...
The tank is 120" long, but the wall I plan to put it on is only 94" long. (This has created a problem... could I cut the end of the tank off, and get a new end put on? If not, this aquarium won't fit.) What do I do?

saltyguy51
04/14/2009, 09:06 PM
to cut that tank apart would be a job since your frt and bk panels go over the end panel and your tp and bttm go over the end panel as well. If I were you i wouldnt mess with it unless you are very skillful at this kind of project. Dont mean to kill your idea but you might up eating alot of dollars. Can you put it on another wall?

DamnPepShrimp
04/14/2009, 09:29 PM
Move it to another wall! I wouldn't mess with cutting a tank up. Plus you'll want the extra length for the fish. A 10ft tank is what those tangs really need, especially that unicorn. A LFS of mine has a large naso and vlamingi in a 10x3x3 display and they almost seem cramped! So see if you can move the tank else where, you'll be happy you went with the 10 footer.

Oh, and as far as flow goes, you'll want more then just a return. You can only have the return going so many ways, your going to have dead spots which can build up detrius and kill water quality. If you get a large pump, your going to pay the money in the electric bill. Your better off spending the money on a vortech or koralia's etc and saving your pocket when the bills come. Not to mention the ridiculous flow achilles tangs like, they thrive on +50x turnover rates, and pristine water quality by keeping the detrius suspended and cleaned out by the skimmer.

islandboyalec
04/15/2009, 04:35 PM
O.K. "damnpepshrimp", since you have much more knowledge on the subject than I, how would you do this set-up, if it were your tank? (While still keeping the price reasonable... First off, the tank's $1,000, and I want to do it a barebottom, with a piece of black cutting-board on the bottom.)

fender4string
04/15/2009, 05:42 PM
Just to add the little bit of newbie advice I can, try for around 20 times turnover (more is even better) of your system's volume. So for a 450 gal tank you'd need about 9,000 gph. I've read that fish really love the high flow.

When this tank finally gets done it is going to be freaking awesome. Recty's suggestion about the school of convict's is cool-that'd really be something to see in person (or in pictures on the internet once the tank is up, hint-hint ;) )

islandboyalec
04/15/2009, 06:09 PM
Now my second problem... I've emailed the person about the tank twice (on craigslist), over the last two days. He/She hasn't yet responded, but the aquarium was posted about a week ago, and it hasn't been removed off craigslist???:mad: (I hope they respond soon.)
p.s. I've seen some nice aquariums for sale on this forum, but they are across the country... is there another place I could look (remember, I want a BIG tank.) Any help would be appreciated

anbosu
04/15/2009, 06:17 PM
ebay, search for local sales only

islandboyalec
04/15/2009, 06:57 PM
I emailed glass cages for a quote on an aquarium, explaining that I would want a dry box on either side of the overflow, at one end, to use vortechs. They replied with,
"Please send a fax with diagram of what you want.
We don't care what kind of equipment you are using, just draw out what you want.
Add your zipcode and phone # to the fax"
That wasn't very nice...:(
So, what do people think of "my reef creations" aquariums, and skimmers (just incase the person on craigslist doesn't email me back.):confused:

islandboyalec
04/15/2009, 08:57 PM
:( The guy from craigslist just emailed me, "sold"... that was a waste of time. There's still always the 218 gallon (60"x28"x30"), but I want the unicorn and achilles tank.:(

fender4string
04/15/2009, 09:08 PM
That sucks man. I don't really have anything constructive to add regarding tank manufacturers but keep everyone posted on what's going on. I'm pretty excited about this build-it sounds like it's going to be a sweet tank.

DamnPepShrimp
04/15/2009, 09:42 PM
I've heard bad things about glasscages, I know from experience, their customer service sucks. Keep looking for a big/long tank, they'll come up eventually.

As far as flow goes, it's not so much the amount of flow, but where it's directed that is most important. Running BB and keeping all the waste/detrius up off the ground and off the rocks and into the overflow and picked up by the skimmer. That is the best thing about BB and why they are able to achieve great water params. The catch here is your Achilles tang. There is a great read that is stickied in the reef fish section. Achilles thrive off of extremely high flow, usually +50x turnover rates, in a 450g, your looking around 25,000gph!

islandboyalec
04/16/2009, 05:10 AM
I saw an aqaurium on youtube (1,200 gallon) that was pretty interesting. It had an oveflow at on end, with a dry box on either side. In each dry box was 4 vortechs, and this aquarium was AMAZING. (It had a beautiful pair of naso tangs.) Could I use this same design, and use vortechs to provide most of my flow? (Also, if I changed the position of the tank, so the short end is up against the wall, instead of the long end, wouldn't I double the swimming room?)

JamesJR
04/17/2009, 10:36 AM
instead of getting a conventional Naso unicornis have you looked into the blue unicornfish, Naso bervirostris? They are a little more expensive but have a prettier and more unique color pattern. They are kind of uncommon in the hobby but are seen around hawaii all the time and I think they stay a little smaller. Just food for thought.

DamnPepShrimp
04/17/2009, 11:23 AM
If your vortechs can fit on the glass/acrylic of the tank, I don't see a need for a dry box. Unless you just really want to keep all the equipment inside of the tank. But with this dry box, you have a big ugly box and still have powerheads sticking out of it, plus it takes up space inside the aquarium for the fish. I would just stick the vortechs on the end that isn't being seen, no dry box or anything.