PDA

View Full Version : Crocea Clam Problems

nick0327
04/14/2009, 11:17 AM
Setup info:

40 Breeder w/ Tek Light 4x39W T5
Octopus NW 150, Phosban Reactor
SG 1.025, Phosphates .01, Calcium 400, ALk 3.25

I moved about two months ago and when I setup the tank in its new location I had to put the rock my clam was attached to at an angle, making the clam apx. 35 degrees off of straight up and down, tilted to the side, attached to the rock it had been on for the last few months.

I figuired the clam would correct itself and indeed within a few weeks it straightened up pretty well, although not completely straight up and down. Note that the clam is on a rock with a acrapora that is growing rapidly and is currently about 7" across the widest point (the acrapora).

Well last Saturday when I got home I noticed that the clam had rotated itself about 45 degrees in a circular motion, rotating away from the acrapora nearby (I wish I had my camera!!!). I think no big deal. Then the following day it has rotated another 45 degrees. It also moved about one inch away from the acrapora, until it is on the very edge of the rock. It has stayed in this position for several days. Note it is more straight up and down and is probably getting more light in its current position than before.

What concerns me is that the clam looks like it is about to fall off the rock because its shell sometimes moves away from the rock and its "foot" is exposed to where you can see the white stuff stretching. Then the clam will flex and hug the rock again. I tried gently pulling the clam up off the rock but it won't budge.

Through all of this the mantle has been fully extended and coloration looks good except for some white areas next to the intake hole/ mouth that sticks a little bit.

What do you guys think?

Again sorry for not hacing pics.

jim.l
04/14/2009, 12:12 PM
It sounds like it wants more light and is starting to bleach. This takes a while to develop, but it's hard to stop once it starts. You should probably post this in the Tridacnid forum. If you must move the clam cut the Byssal thread down at the rock, not near the clam, with a razor blade. Don't pull on the clam and rip the foot, and don't cut the foot. This will usually kill the clam. Locate the clam in a suitable location close to a MH. Crocea are the neediest of the clams when it comes to light.

nick0327
04/14/2009, 12:24 PM
Should I lower my T-5s? they are about 5 inches off of the top of the tank. I think I will give it a try.....