PDA

View Full Version : I need a change, please help me decide

gemini aquarius(t)
04/14/2009, 05:54 PM
Hello and thank you for looking. I think a change from my current set up would be very helpful.
I currently have a 10g tank with some heavy scratches and pretty coarse substrate that is very dirty. The tank has macro algae as well as some hair algae. The tank runs off an old 96watt quad pc fixture and a CPR backpack skimmer. The flow is provided by a maxi jet 600. It also has a 150 watt heater.

Options
1) Buy a new 10 gallon. This would allow for a clean tank with out any of the deep scratches that I have currently, as well as letting me start with a new substrate and rock layout. This would also let me keep the same equipment for the most part with a hopeful light upgrade and flow make over. Cons include the same size tank, meaning less creativity with rock placement and stocking options. (Back to the basics)- Less giving with water volume in regards to water quality.

2) Upgrade to a 40 gallon (36x18x17 I think) that I have on my patio. This would give many more stocking options and creative rock work possibilities as well as providing more stable water conditions to the inhabitants die to water volume. Cons include an oak trim around the tank, that I personally find not nearly as slick as a plain black trim, as well as more lighting/flow requirements that I would have to buy (money is hard to find in my house)

3) Get another size tank. I am thinking about a 20 gallon long or high. This option allows for a slight change is stocking options as well as a slight upgrade in water volume (still thinking water quality). This would still require an upgrade in lights/flow but I believe that I could still utilize my CPR skimmer as an adequate filtration device. This would also allow for rock work change, but is not nearly as big of a jump in water volume and changes as the 40 would be.

These are all valid possibilities, but if you have another option that you think could work, please feel free to let me know. I'm in no rush, because I know nothing good happens fast in this hobby.
My main problem right now is financing all of these things, but if option one or three is chosen, then I could sell the 40 gallon to help fund the selected option.

Thanks for reading,
Xavier

xxwake4lifexx
04/14/2009, 08:19 PM
I think you should get the 40g. I have a 29g right now and find it to be the perfect size for my first nano tank, but when I move out I'm going to setup my 60g as a reef. Maybe I'll use the 29g as a big fuge ;).

Seriously though at least move up in size from the 10g. They're just too small :p!

Agu
04/15/2009, 01:32 PM
You could convert the existing ten to a sump and and drill a 10,15 or 20 as the main tank. That would allow you to move equipment to the sump and use most of the existing equipment. You could even keep using the same light.

That's what I did with a scratched up ten, I added a new ten above it. And since I didn't need to use the skimmer that space became additional display.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/2DSCN3077.jpg

schudini
04/15/2009, 03:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14831553#post14831553 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
You could convert the existing ten to a sump and and drill a 10,15 or 20 as the main tank. That would allow you to move equipment to the sump and use most of the existing equipment. You could even keep using the same light.

That's what I did with a scratched up ten, I added a new ten above it. And since I didn't need to use the skimmer that space became additional display.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/2DSCN3077.jpg

best idea :thumbsup:

I would go with a 20 on top and the 10 as the sump. Reuse all the equipment, maybe upgrade the skimmer to a MJ1200 (that's what I use on my 20), and use the MJ600 in the tank for extra flow.

You could use a hang on the back overflow and flex hose and not have to drill the 20. Only have to buy a return pump. (and have the benefit and stability of 30 gallons).

gemini aquarius(t)
04/15/2009, 04:24 PM
Those are very good ideas, but i am not able to have a sump yet, because my mom is afraid it will leak and ruin the floors.

Agu
04/15/2009, 06:36 PM
5 years set up and no floods. If you drill instead of using a HOB overflow there's really almost no risk of a flood if you do regular maintenance.

I only say almost because if there's a really weird situation I don't want your mom mad at me ;) .

E.intheC
04/16/2009, 08:23 PM
Out of those options listed, I'd go with a 20 high. It gives you more room for aquascaping, and with good lighting, you're able to have higher light loving corals like sps at the top, while still being able to have lower light corals at the bottom.. in a 10 or that sized 40 (the long style) it's tougher to do that. You could get the sunpod MH fixture and that would be perfect for your tank.. It's also very easy to get T-5s on the 20 high.

Your skimmer would be just fine in that sized tank as well. Have you tried modding your skimmer by adding airstones or upgrading your pump? I've hear those mods are really effective.

gemini aquarius(t)
04/18/2009, 11:09 PM
I think i will try the airstone mod, because the pump right now isnt getting the bubbles i would like

letik
04/18/2009, 11:50 PM
Agu's idea is very cool. I have 10 gal tank! Check it out. Maybe it will give you some idea. My setup is sumpless..

=> HERE (http://picasaweb.google.com/aletik/Hexagon#)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/507/216312IMG_0227sm.JPG