PDA

View Full Version : adding seperate fuge then sump....plumbing help

gauma369
04/14/2009, 11:41 PM
Im adding a sump and fuge to my tank and i am limited on size since the front panel on my stand wont allow me to add a huge tank so im planning on adding a sump and a seperate 10 gal tank as a fuge....how would i go about plumbing the fuge to the sump?

I was thinking adding a bulkhead between the 2 and have the overflow from DT drain into skimmer section of sump and this external fuge. Not sure if this is a good way of doing it and not even sure exactly how to plumb it. As far as should i have the bulkhead at the top of the fuge or the bottom?

Any other way of plumbing this system would help with my options?

tangtang clown
04/15/2009, 06:35 AM
I am currently going through the same issue. I had a 20 long as a sump/fuge under my 75g, with my recirculating skimmer. I upgraded to an Octo Extreme 200 in sump so I had to reconfigure my sump. The biggest sump I would put under my stand was a 20gal long, with out having to risk the structural integrity of my stand by removing boards and trying to slide a sump in the end.

I bought a new 20long and put one baffle in it with a skimmer section of the left and a return section on the right. I keep my original 20long sump/fuge and turned it into a fuge only by removing all except for the last baffle. I have this sitting next to DT on the floor. I have my main return pump teed off with a gate valve going to the fuge and the other side going to my DT.

I have a 256gph pump and a float switch in the fuge and this pumps water back to return section of my sump. I am planning on buying another 20long and drilling the end so I can add a bulkhead and get rid of my pumps so the water will fall back to the sump.

Hope this helps.

96p993
04/15/2009, 08:25 AM
I have 2 twenty gallon tanks connected that are under my DT...I drilled them in the same spot so they could be connected then fed the fuge from my return pump...Works well..The 20 with my fuge has a portion of it blocked off to use as a holding tank for top off water, this works great and I dont need to have any unsightly containers outside the stand. I was very picky with making sure the tank was as compact and streamline as possible...

My concern with the 10 gallon is drilling it..I tried to use one and just couldnt drill the glass without it cracking on me. The glass is very thin...One solution to this is the use a 10 gallon made of acrylic, this would work nicely.

sjm817
04/15/2009, 08:55 AM
Setup the sump with return as you normally would. Have the fuge a couple inches higher than the sump. High enough to fit a bulkhead at the top that can overflow back to the sump. Run a T from the return to feed the fuge.