PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer for 75 Gallon

Xler8n
04/15/2009, 12:17 AM
I have a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump and lots of LR so im guess my total water volume is about 60-65 gallons. Right now my sump is too small to have a skimmer in or even just the pump for a skimmer. The way its designed makes it not have enough space. I had trouble making it into a refugium. I am planning on building a sump/refugium out of a 20 gallon tank. I currently have a BAK-PAK 2 skimmer with the biobale removed and an airpump and mesh mod (to produce more and finer bubbles). I used to empty the cup about once every week but now that i have the mods i empty the cup every 2 days and it STINKS. Anywayz im looking to buy a new skimmer for when i build the sump and im looking for something that wont bust my pocket. Im trying to spend about $160 - $180. What is a good skimmer for that price range. On other forums people were saying the Reed Octopus NW-110. But thats an in sump. What are some others?? Thanks in advance

Meyeronfire!
04/15/2009, 12:45 AM
I have heard great things about the octopus skimmers. I just ordered a reef xtreme 160 for my 72 bow. It was a little more than I intended to spend but WTH right? I was also looking at the mini G skimmer by ASM people swear by that one as well. Both have great reps. The ASM has a pretty good footprint of about 8 by 10 If I can remember right both are in sump. The ASM is about $125 on marine depot. Hope I helped a little!

tangtang clown
04/15/2009, 06:23 AM
I use a Octo Extreme 200 with a sicce PSK 2500 from Reef Specialty. I know the price is more than you mentioned, but I went this route b/c one day I plan on upgrading to a 125 or so.

wils_25
04/27/2009, 08:13 PM
I have a Euro-Reef RS80 on a 75 gal with a 30 gal sump. Love it.

pfoster40
04/27/2009, 10:19 PM
I went the same route as tangtang, I got the Octo extreme 200 from reefspecialty. I've had it in my tank about two days and I'm very happy with my results I have gotten so far. They are $289 shipped on reefspecialty. You could stock w/e you want in your tank with this thing...... Its a beast.