PDA

View Full Version : calcium reactor minimum depth requirement

guzzman
03/10/2003, 03:13 PM
roger could you please tell me the minimum depth required in my sump for a tunze calcium reactor and the approx footprint . my sump has a 6.5 inch level.if this would work could you list the items from tunze for the complete setup.i have already ordered the universal osmolater and kalk reactor.
thanks tom guzzi

rvitko
03/10/2003, 04:18 PM
The calcium reactor 3174/3 requires 9" of water. Model 1674/3 requires only 3". I am using 1674/3 on my 120 reef and feel I would be better served with the 3174/3. The 1674 holds half as much media and it is able to just keep up with my demand in a mixed SPS, LPS reef. I use it in conjunction with the calcium dispenser and seachem reef complete for periodic adjustment.

guzzman
03/10/2003, 07:29 PM
roger i have a 65 gal rr with a 22 gal sump approx 90% sps do you think the 1674/3 would be able to handle the load with the tunze calcium dispenser for this size reef ? if so i am looking to buy a complete setup including the tunze controller and accessories any help with a listing of parts to put this package together would be a great help.
thanks again tom guzzi

rvitko
03/10/2003, 09:31 PM
If this is a super SPS reef with tons of acros, so thick you can barely see in, than No. In this case I would gladly sell you an excellent CO2 controller and Regulator. I would recommend a large Korallen or Schuran reactor. If you have a more normal reef tank with a "wallpaper" of polyps and mushrooms on live rock, a few LPS and maybe 6-10 heads of SPS, than it will serve your needs. All Calcium Reactors have their quirks and you should research a few of them. The Tunze unit is very simple, fairly easy to adjust. It uses about 4-6 bubbles a second when running, drip rate is set for 2-4 drops per second. You do have to use a pH controller set with a solenoid. It uses a man made calcium carbonate media, it is quite pure. It does seem to dissolve slower than more porous natural medias. It is not as powerful as many other units but in the right situation is an easy to use unit.

guzzman
03/11/2003, 01:49 PM
roger my reef is very dense with sps with a few heads 6 to 8 inches across and the rest small to medium pieces.i quess i will need a larger reactor.would you be able to recommend and if possible sell me a complete setup?
thanks tom guzzi

rvitko
03/11/2003, 03:01 PM
I think as I said above you should look at the midsized Korallen and Schuran units, I think Korallen 3002 and Schuran units bigger than the mini reactor are suitable. It would work very well in conjunction with our regulator, and a combined pH controller solenoid set we call a CO2 controller. The Schuran units are very expensive but their is no better acrylic work in the world and the probe is used to monitor internal reactor pH which is a very nice feature. You might also check in to Deltec, I have no personal experience here and also don't know anyone using one but the design sounds promising. We are working on a larger reactor for more demand but do not have a suitable solution for you at this time.

guzzman
03/11/2003, 08:30 PM
would the schuran jetstream 1 be a good choice for my size system? from what i see from the picture it comes mounted to a board, i am wondering how this will fit inside my cabinet or possibly behind it.the measurements look to be about 2 feet high which would just fit inside my 65 aga rr cabinet. from the specs it sounds like a pretty awesome reactor. any further advice would be appreciated. thanks for your help tom

rvitko
03/11/2003, 10:29 PM
The Jetstream1 would be an awesome choice! By my calculations the height is 23.62". 60cm/ 2.54cm per inch. If you get one you've got to post pics. The best price I found was $532, I can however assure you that the quality of these units is unbelieveable. If you need more info try www.schuran.com, you can probably email Herman Schuran off of the site.

guzzman
03/12/2003, 09:44 AM
roger if i purchase the 7077/2 and the new controller will i still need to purchase a solenoid if so any recommendations?thanks tom

rvitko
03/12/2003, 10:28 AM
No, the controller includes a solenoid, it is a specially designed low voltage unit for marine applications. It can resist an occasional back siphon as it is teflon coated stainless steel.