PDA

View Full Version : Pairing Pink Skunks

stlrams88
04/15/2009, 01:22 PM
I recently added a pink skunk clown to my tank to host in my sebae anemone (yeah I am trying really hard to keep it alive but am prepared for the fact that it will be a struggle). How hard would it be to introduce a new smaller pink skunk to pair up with the one currently in the tank? I know maroons are pretty hard to pair up, are the pink skunks anything like that, or more like occys?

Toddrtrex
04/15/2009, 01:44 PM
When I bought my pair they were in seperate tanks at the LFS, but got one that was smaller then the other. There was 0 fighting b/t the two. I would think it should be fairly easy, as long as you get a smaller one. Over all they are fairly docile (( as far as clowns go )), but will get more aggressive to tank mates when/if they start spawning.

stlrams88
04/15/2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the help, you always have the answer. They will be the only fish in the tank ever...with the exception of a goby, so I am not too worried about spawning aggression.

Toddrtrex
04/15/2009, 07:43 PM
Glad I could help.

I think that pink skunks are underrated as far as clowns go. And they can be fairly vocal too.

And as luck would have it, mine are spawning right now.

Nanook
04/15/2009, 08:50 PM
I love Pink Skunks! Our LFS rarely keep them and state that no one ever buys them when they have them in stock:rolleyes:

Toddrtrex
04/15/2009, 08:53 PM
And what is a thread about pink skunks without pictures? ;)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/pinkandblue.jpg

Spawning.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Skunkspawn2.jpg

Nanook
04/15/2009, 08:58 PM
Beautiful fish! I suppose that is a Haddoni? Are they hardier than the Gigantea's?

Toddrtrex
04/15/2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks a lot.

And yes that is a Haddoni. I have never had a Gig, so I can just go off of what I have read.... I think they are easier, but still can be fickle, the slightest change in flow can upset them -- and they prefer less flow then Gigs.

But, lately they seem to have issues with shipping, looking great for the first day or two, and then going down hill fast -- wide open mouth.

EDIT -- but once they are settled in, seem pretty darn bullet proof. One of mine is 9+ years old, and I have made plenty of mistakes during that time, including run ins with powerheads. Once I thought for sure the blue one was going to die after I tried to move it to another tank ---- put my finger through the oral disc, and it looked like death, but since I was around that weekend I decided to leave it in the tank. Sure glad that I did. And the darn thing spawned about 3 weeks ago.

happyface888
04/15/2009, 10:08 PM
Wow nice skunks,
Are they in general pretty easy to care for??? And I can't find nice pictures of skunks anyone have a link to a dedicated thread about skunks??? Would like to see some more pictures.
Thanks

Toddrtrex
04/15/2009, 10:13 PM
I have found mine to be just as easy as any other clowns that I have cared for. Start with a healthy one, and should be really easy.

Not sure about any dedicated threads, but here are two more (( older )) pictures of mine,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/pinkskunks2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/pinkskunks.jpg

Doni
04/16/2009, 03:12 PM
Beautiful clowns!

Toddrtrex
04/16/2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks.

I really like their personality, if I stare at them too long --- with my face pretty much against the tank --- they will come up to the glass and "bark" at me. Their whole body will shake when they do that. They seem to get all "happy" when I leave, like it was them that made me leave. :)

happyface888
04/16/2009, 07:08 PM
awesome pics, I don't think I recall seeing any that pink around my area.

stlrams88
04/16/2009, 07:49 PM
Sweet pics. I agree Pink Skunks are completely underrated, it is definitely not a fish you see everyday. The LFS I work at never has them stocked, but the one down the road gets maybe one in every couple weeks. With a 14$ price tag they really are a great fish for a reef system.

Anyone else have some pink skunk pics to share?

By the way that is one of the sickest tabling acros i have seen. I have been trying to get some tabling but no one around here ever has any.

I only have a 24 gal, would you reccomend I try a small haddoni if this sebae tanks?

Toddrtrex
04/16/2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the comment on the tabling Milli, it started off as a 2 inch frag about 9 months ago, and had no idea it was going to table.

I personally wouldn't put a carpet (( either Gig or Haddoni )) in a 24, they just get too big.

stlrams88
04/16/2009, 08:02 PM
some of my fish:

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp229/dkoernert/DSC00675.jpg

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp229/dkoernert/DSC00674.jpg

Toddrtrex
04/16/2009, 08:04 PM
That fish is looking good.

And I hope the Sebae makes it for you, but is pretty bleached. It is a shame that they are sold in that condition.

stlrams88
04/17/2009, 06:27 AM
I figured it would get too big. It really is a shame that they are sold like that, woking in an LFS, I have yet to see one that was not bleached. I have been feeding the crap out of it, and it seems to be browning up a little so hopefully it will make it. It seems to stay put most of the time, I sort of buried it in the sand and surrounded the foot with some small rocks.

marc price
04/17/2009, 10:34 PM
i always liked the way toddr's pinks contrast with that blue carpet. if i didn't have A. nigripes blackfoot skunk i'd probably be keeping pinks. def. underrated. i've yet to see the red fin morph (pic. p. 184 reef aquarium fishes by s. michael), any one have here have one?

Toddrtrex
04/17/2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks a lot Marc.

But, want to trade clowns? ;)

stlrams88
04/19/2009, 10:21 AM
If this sebae goes, will the pink skunks host an RBTA or BTA, I got a guy offering me one of either for free.

Toddrtrex
04/19/2009, 11:25 AM
Back in the day my pair was hosted by an BTA, (( and an LTA )) before the Haddoni.

Think that a BTA would be better suited for your tank anyways.

stlrams88
04/19/2009, 12:56 PM
Probably, I think I am going to contact this guy and let him know I want the bta. Would the rbta be okay though? I really like the look of the rbta.

Toddrtrex
04/19/2009, 01:03 PM
There is no difference (( excluding color )) between BTAs. As far as care goes, green is the same as red as any other color morph.

stlrams88
04/19/2009, 01:08 PM
Okay thanks. Btw, is there any chance this sebae could have eaten a 2" diamond goby? Mine went missing and I turned the tank inside out looking for it, no luck. I have read that they will sometimes eat aquarium fish, so I am thinking that could be what happened.

Toddrtrex
04/19/2009, 01:11 PM
It is always possible, and in a smaller tank the chances get higher. But, they are great jumpers and can hide surprisingly well.

Back when I had one, I didn't see it for a month (( granted this was in my 75 )), so I assumed it died. I picked up another one, and low and behold the one I thought was dead came out to fight.

stlrams88
04/19/2009, 01:20 PM
That is what I figured, its probably hiding in a rock somewhere. Only thing that concerned me is he didnt come out when i tossed some food in there. Thanks again for all your help.

stlrams88
04/20/2009, 06:03 PM
Update: got the other pink skunk today, only been in the tank for about an hour, and all seems good so far, I am keeping on the lookout for signs of pairing. As you will see in the pic, the sebae is toast. It is going back to the LFS wed. and I am getting a BTA Wed. The clown on the right is the one I just picked up tonight.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp229/dkoernert/DSC00770.jpg