PDA

View Full Version : my plate fungia going south

jnb
04/16/2009, 07:03 AM
I have a couple of plate corals that are looking bad - don't know the reason - it could be a couple of things - maybe my new shrimp, or emeralds but I have not seen direct attacks. Maybe the fact that I recently installed a CA reactor and alk/ca is raised albiet to more normal levels (8.0 400 well within norma)l. Maybe they have gone hungry over time and now showing the effects - they have not extended their tentacles for a while as regularly as they used to.

Anyway both plates in their seeminly demise appear to be making nubs of sorts and I wanted to know if these are possible generation of new plates (perhaps in reaction to whatever is ailing them (sort of like a clam spawning when it gets stressed)

Any helpful inpout would be appreciated.

mc-cro
04/16/2009, 12:34 PM
IME, plates have to eat. you metioned yours may have been going hungry, what and how often are you feeding them?

I had one that was almost dead, tissue recession in several places, never extended tentacles, and even had cyano growing on it. I brought it back by putting it in a small tupperware and feeding it mysis and cyclopeeze like everyother night for weeks.