PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my setup! 30 cube! buying soon!

BlackOcellarisUT
04/16/2009, 09:10 AM
I recently moved in with my fiance, finally, and we are planning to build a reef aquarium in our new home now that we have moved in. We want to have a 30 gallon cube as the main display, a medium sized sump, and a small refugium placed above the tank that is gravity fed to the display. We want to have a large range of corals, zoanthids and shrooms near the bottom/ sandbed, and SPS growing closer to the surface. Not many LPS because I don't really like them, (sorry.)

We don't want to skimp on the hardware in the system, and I want to make sure that I am not over doing it in any areas, or if it is inadequate or even close to being underpowered it in any other areas. mostly....

Will the jbj k2 viper Deluxe 250 Watt/LED combo be plenty for SPS corals to thrive in a 30 gallon cube? I really love my 70W k2 viper, and the design for the 250 looks top notch. Or will I need a 400W Pendant? Any other Lighting options that wont require construction to my home? i.e. hanging a fixture from above...

K2 viper on marine depot - http://*******.com/cvsxak

I like the small footprint of the Aqua C urchin Pro, and I have had great success with my original Aqua C urchin on my old drilled 7 mini bow.
Will the Aqua C Urchin Pro with MAG 3 pushing it be strong enough to handle the waste removal? (I like to have plenty of fish, and feed generously!) Any other better options? ( I will be doing routine 10% water changes as well every week.)

Urchin Pro on marine depot - http://*******.com/c4bopp

I was thinking about going with a Berlin Euro style sump (24"x12"x14".) Will this sump be large enough/ appropriate for this design? It will need to house my skimmer, and 300W Azoo titanium heater, and mag drive 950?*See Return Pump Q' below. Any other sump options/suggestions? I would prefer to not have a DIY sump, but I am open to suggestions!!

I was thinking a mag drive 950 for the return pump, and running it as a submersible as opposed to drilling the sump for an external pump. I would run it with a ball valve of sorts to allow for the control of the overall water flow. Any critiques/suggestions/ other options you see being better? Any reasons why I should go with external iwaki pump etc...?

I plan on using the Vortech MP20 for in tank additional circulation, mostly because I love how it looks and for its benefits, but will I need to supplement the current with another pump placed elsewhere in the tank? Or will the return turnover plus MP20 be enough?

Refugium.... This is my first time incorporating a fuge into a reef system. So any critiques/ suggestions... bring it on. (6 gallon curved glass tank[which i already have running now with just a clownfish ad LR/LS] jbj k2 viper, CPR overflow box])

I want to feature Dr. Mac and Sons hand picked Asian live rock, about 30-45 lbs, depending on shapes. Sound good? And about a 6 inch DSB. How much live sand should I use to seed the south down/ aragonite sand?

Thanks Everyone!!!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/41169Reef_Blueprints_UPLOAD.jpg

drparker
04/16/2009, 01:59 PM
I've never used that light, but I would be looking at a hood with MH/T5 or all T5 lamps, I like to be able have actinic only lighting.

For a skimmer I have an Urchin in the garage that ran on my 30g setup before I upgraded to the 58g I was never really happy with it. For the money or very close to it I'd go with an MSX or Octopus skimmer instead.

I've got a Mag on one tank and Ehiem on the other. I really like the Ehiem very quit but more money.

I would not use the CPR overflow unless you already own it. There are other designs that function more reliably.

KH971
04/16/2009, 03:08 PM
The eheim pump will be the best and less heat transfer too.
If you use the CPR overflow attach it to a maxijet and that way it can reprime itself if you loose power.

BlackOcellarisUT
04/16/2009, 06:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14838771#post14838771 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drparker
I've never used that light, but I would be looking at a hood with MH/T5 or all T5 lamps, I like to be able have actinic only lighting.

For a skimmer I have an Urchin in the garage that ran on my 30g setup before I upgraded to the 58g I was never really happy with it. For the money or very close to it I'd go with an MSX or Octopus skimmer instead.

I've got a Mag on one tank and Ehiem on the other. I really like the Ehiem very quit but more money.

I would not use the CPR overflow unless you already own it. There are other designs that function more reliably.

I am now really considering T5 lighting options, I have seen some great sps growth and the cooler running temperature is tempting, but I really like the shimmer effect of the point source lights, i.e. MH

Thanks for the response, i'll def. check out those skimmers. I have heard a few other bad reviews of it and i'm going with something else.

I do already own the CPR overflow, so i'm just going to use it. p.s. I have used it for a couple of years, no issues whatsoever.

BlackOcellarisUT
04/16/2009, 07:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14839164#post14839164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KH971
The eheim pump will be the best and less heat transfer too.
If you use the CPR overflow attach it to a maxijet and that way it can reprime itself if you loose power.

I have tested it on many occasions, and it has been tested as well and it has never had to be reprimed, hmm. But I am curious/ willing to take further precaution, how would I go about hooking the CPR box to a maxijet?

Thanks a lot for the input!

drparker
04/17/2009, 07:57 AM
You run a air line from the nipple on the CPR to the air intake on the maxijet. When I ran a CPR I used a Tom's Aqualifter pump to prime and keep bubbles from building up inside of it.

BlackOcellarisUT
04/17/2009, 09:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14843805#post14843805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drparker
You run a air line from the nipple on the CPR to the air intake on the maxijet. When I ran a CPR I used a Tom's Aqualifter pump to prime and keep bubbles from building up inside of it.

Ohh so you mean like some smaller skimmers use?

drparker
04/17/2009, 09:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14844262#post14844262 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BlackOcellarisUT
Ohh so you mean like some smaller skimmers use?

Not sure we're talking the same thing.

The CPR has a square design and does not use a tube. Bubbles can build up in the top of the overflow that will break the siphon. By using a maxijet or Aqualifter you are insured that any air that builds up will be sucked out. It also insures that in the event of a power loss you won't get a flood even if the siphon was broken.

rickh
04/18/2009, 05:50 PM
1. I would drill the refugium and not trust a HOB overflow. Too risky.

2. Use some of the return flow for the refugium. One less pump. You would have a Mag 9. a Mag 3 and a MJ1200 in 30 gallons with 2 MH lights. I see heat problems.

R

E.intheC
04/18/2009, 06:55 PM
I think you'll have plenty of light with a 250 watt MH.. I have a 30 cube and have a 150 watt MH with sps, lps, and zoanthids. No one's complaining :) (although sometimes I wish I had the 250 watt.. mostly I'm happy with the 150).. 400 is really overkill, IMO.

I'd definitely look at a different brand of skimmer. I had an aqua c remora (essentially the same thing as the urchin) and didn't like it.

I just ran a thread on overflow boxes.. If you can, try and drill it yourself. If you don't like it or don't want to for whatever reason, I'd suggest looking at a Lifereef overflow box. That's what most people have said is the best, by far.

As for the live sand.. do you mean you want 6 inches in your display? IMO, that's a LOT of sand.. If you're talking about your fuge, then that's fine.

Congrats on moving in with your fiance by the way. Exciting times. (I'm doing the same thing)

BlackOcellarisUT
04/20/2009, 09:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14848619#post14848619 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drparker
Not sure we're talking the same thing.

The CPR has a square design and does not use a tube. Bubbles can build up in the top of the overflow that will break the siphon. By using a maxijet or Aqualifter you are insured that any air that builds up will be sucked out. It also insures that in the event of a power loss you won't get a flood even if the siphon was broken.

My CPR does use a tube to prime it. It connects through the top of the square design. Ill post a pic soon.

BlackOcellarisUT
04/20/2009, 09:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14852822#post14852822 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rickh
1. I would drill the refugium and not trust a HOB overflow. Too risky.

2. Use some of the return flow for the refugium. One less pump. You would have a Mag 9. a Mag 3 and a MJ1200 in 30 gallons with 2 MH lights. I see heat problems.

R

Yeah I see what you mean. The only issue is that the (now six gallon, the 2.5 cracked last week, and I had to do a swap so i could have a place for our clowns to live) is already up and running, and drilling it at this point seems risky.

And Yes I also see what you mean by the excessive heat, but the fuge will be running on a reverse time schedule, so only one MH will be running at a time. I had 400W over a 30 cube with a mag 6 about 3 years ago, and had no heat issues as long as I had a nice fan over the water surface. I will def install all the hardware and fill it up and let it run for a couple days before adding ANYTHING to check out how the temp is working. Thanks a lot for the response!!

drparker
04/20/2009, 10:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14861622#post14861622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BlackOcellarisUT
My CPR does use a tube to prime it. It connects through the top of the square design. Ill post a pic soon.

I meant that the siphon and water flow is through a square design on the CPR and requires that little nipple and air hose. Other overflows use a 1/2" or larger tube shaped in a upside down U to move the water from the tank into the back of the overflow, once the siphon is created it does not break like the CPR can so a pump is not needed to keep bubbles out or to restart the siphon.

BlackOcellarisUT
04/20/2009, 10:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14861864#post14861864 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drparker
I meant that the siphon and water flow is through a square design on the CPR and requires that little nipple and air hose. Other overflows use a 1/2" or larger tube shaped in a upside down U to move the water from the tank into the back of the overflow, once the siphon is created it does not break like the CPR can so a pump is not needed to keep bubbles out or to restart the siphon.
Ok I see what you mean. I have used a larger overflow with the removable U tube design, and actually i had more trouble with it than with the CPR. When the return is turned off, my CPR holds its siphon. Thanks though, if I do end up going with the CPR, I will hook up a maxijet to it for sure!