PDA

View Full Version : Foxface and coral, is it safe?

HumanIMDB
04/16/2009, 06:52 PM
We're considering a Foxface Rabbitfish but have read that they may nip at coral.

Just wondering what "real world" experiences have been like?

Thanks,
Chris

drparker
04/16/2009, 06:55 PM
I've not had a problem with mine in a mixed tank with plenty of coral to choose from. I got him on the smaller side hoping he hadn't pickup any bad habits and feed the tank with Rod's every day.

waldomas
04/16/2009, 06:59 PM
Keep him well fed!

Mine ate my open brains and my elegance corals.
He even occationally nips at the xenia.

jenjen
04/16/2009, 08:08 PM
^ +1 for keeping them well fed! My foxface is a PIG, but hasn't touched coral thus far - he's been in the tank with LPS & softies for about 6 months.

SaltyDr
04/16/2009, 08:35 PM
Mine hasn't touched the coral. I give him some nori every other day and frozen foods daily. And yes, he is a pig.

agreeive?fish
04/16/2009, 08:59 PM
My one spot foxface is a pig and will eat any foods i feed the tank, he is also by far the fastest growing fish i have ever owned but i cannot comment on the saftery of corals since mine is in a FOWLR tank

Tswifty
04/16/2009, 09:12 PM
IMO... they just grow too darn fast to be an option in smaller tanks. I had one (Foxface Lo) in my first tank for around 2-1/2 years. Then re-homed him when I moved to the 90g tank. He was a model citizen, but doubled in size in one year, and was easily 8" when we parted ways.

The Rabbitfish more commonly associated with nipping problems are the Scribbled, and Spotted Rabbitfish. Although, I'm not surprised to hear some people mention problems with the Foxface as well.

They sort of have a reputation like the Dwarf Angelfish... some do... some don't.

Good luck.

HumanIMDB
04/16/2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks everyone.

I'm looking at the Siganus Vulpinus species but the Siganus Magnifica looks very nice and is very expensive.

Aquarist007
04/16/2009, 09:44 PM
try using this pole feeder--with nori or even romaine lettuce--the foxface and the tangs love it:

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=291