PDA

View Full Version : New baby dwarfs and filters!

mangelo
04/16/2009, 08:24 PM
Even though I have a sponge over the intake of my Bio wheel I am nervous about turning my filter back on after spotting 3 babies.

When is it safe to turn back on? It just seems like they would get sucked right up into it. They obviously survived their first night with it on because I didn't seem them until the AM. I only run my filter and powerhead at night anyway.

TIA.

ctenophors rule
04/18/2009, 10:21 AM
how strong is your filter?

and how big is your spongs?

i would put a sponge filter in if you are realy woriied, but see no problem with that filter scheme, as long as it isn't to strong.

remember an adult dwarf is capable of swimming almost a 1/4th of an inch a second.

so if you pull is weeker than 1/4th an inch a second, your adults are ok

same goes for the babies, stucy their max speed and measure it out.

hth

lazy
04/27/2009, 03:44 PM
i have 20 dwarf seahorses in a 12 nano and had to put a screen over the overflow and that did not help they would still get stuck in the over flow so i had to get a 6 in black pvc and cut it in half and glue a screen over the opening so there was more of an area and the suction would not be as much and now they are happy i just joined so i dont know how to post pic but email me is you need them if it will help

Brock Fluharty
04/27/2009, 05:45 PM
When I had dwarves, I cut a filter pad to fit around the intake, and I kept it there by wrapping rubber bands around it. Make sure it's tight though, or they could get sucked through a gap.