PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom guide

t kish
04/17/2009, 04:04 AM
Is there a guide for buying and caring for Mushrooms , my tank is still very young and I am planning on keeping Mushrooms but I would like to learn more about them.

What Mushrooms are good or bad , growth rates feeding requirements etc ?

I would like to be able to keep some other corals as well.

Thanks T Kish

L98-Z
04/17/2009, 05:15 AM
To add another question to this.

What is the difference between Yuma mushrooms and Ricordea?

Where is a good place to buy Yuma mushrooms?

t kish
04/17/2009, 02:11 PM
Anyone:confused:
Maybe a good book on the topic ?

Thanks T Kish

Tallinu
04/17/2009, 05:20 PM
A decent book that covers a wide variety of topics on corals is titled; Aquarium Corals and is written by Eric Borneman. It covers a wide variety of corals including a chapter devoted to mushrooms. There is nothing really out there regarding mushrooms specifically that I've been able to find.

The difference between Yumas and Floridas is there and the more you deal with them the more obvious it becomes. But in regards to your specific question L98-Z. There is no difference. They are one and the same. Ricordea Yuma is the corals name. And Ricordea Florida is the other. Both are Ricordea. Yumas are from Indonesia, Tonga, Australia etc.. Floridas are from the Carribbean. If your local LFS has no Yumas you can try perhaps Bluezooaquatics or Liveaquaria.com.

t kish
04/17/2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks Tallinu for your reply and book suggestion.
I just finished reading Mr Borneman's Conscientious Marine Aquarist
and I enjoyed that very much , I will definitely pick up the Aquarium Corals

Thanks T Kish

brutus13
04/20/2009, 06:30 PM
Mushrooms are really easy to keep. I have found that ricordea's are happier in a slightly more "dirty water" tank. I have had great success growing them this way.