PDA

View Full Version : Yellow tangs and Scopas Tang

yzfr6
04/17/2009, 01:14 PM
I have an established 75 gallon tank with a yellow tang that has been in there for about 2 months. I would love to add a Scopas Tang. Anyone have any opinions on this. i here that tangs are best left as one but I have friends that have yellow tangs and powder blue tangs in the same tank. Thoughts?

der_wille_zur_macht
04/17/2009, 01:18 PM
I would not risk it.

Tangs are generally most aggressive towards other tangs that are similar in shape and color - and, there are few tangs that are as similar as yellows and scopas. You might find two that get along, but it's not likely

Plus, IMHO, a 75 is pretty small for multiple tangs.

yzfr6
04/17/2009, 01:23 PM
i'm getting ready to move them all to a 125 gallon tank.

der_wille_zur_macht
04/17/2009, 01:33 PM
Once you are settled into the 125, if you still want a second tang, get one that's not yellow and isn't from the Zebrasoma genus.

1602reefer
04/17/2009, 03:52 PM
I had a scopas by itself for about two months in my 55, Then two days ago I bought a juvenile yellow mimic tang and put him in. At first the scopas was ****ed and he kept harassing and smacking him with his tail knife but the mimic didn't seem hurt or disturbed then the scopas just stopped and now they just cruz around and graze together. Everything is happy times again. :)

aquamanSD
04/17/2009, 04:23 PM
I think they will be just fine. I have two yellow tangs and a scopas and they have never once fought. My tank now is 380 gallons which is different BUT they were in the 75 when i got them and no problems then either. If anything they might fight for a few days to establish territory or whose boss but that will go away in a couple days. I'd go for it if thats what you want and your gonna upgrade for swimming room anyway so no big deal there when they get bigger

jenjen
04/17/2009, 04:43 PM
Be careful deciding to put two tangs together in a small tank. As noted above, some people have success... but others don't.

I have a Yellow and a Kole in a 90gal at the moment, and while they generally 'tolerate' eachother now, it has been a battle between them and they still periodically spar. If I wasn't in the process of setting up a larger tank I'd be getting rid of one of them - they're clearly agitated at being together.

If you decide to go for it, make sure to have a backup plan incase it doesn't work.