PDA

View Full Version : Small RO/DI kits

bpeugh
04/17/2009, 02:02 PM
So I am thinking of buying a small RO/DI kit after this latest incident. Is there anything that does smaller amounts? I would only need about 2 galllons at most per day for the tank, 1 gallon or so for watering plants and then the rest for drinking so 10 gallons a day would probably do it.

medic29
04/17/2009, 08:06 PM
Any of the units will do it. Depending on your water pressure will depend on how much it will make and how fast. I would probably reccommend getting a 75 gal/day because you don't want it to run all of the time. Plus the 75 gal/day is based on perfect water pressure and the temp of around 75 degrees which you won't have unless you are heating the water then pumping it through the unit, most of our water comes out of the water line around 40 degrees, thus the water production will be less than what you are expecting.

panaboy95
04/17/2009, 09:13 PM
i would buy a 75 GPD ebay unit. i bought one when i first started my tank. you will have to replace the first set of filters a little early but then when you put good filters in it it is just as good as a unit twice the price. plus i would use the waste water to water the plants.

ChicagoReefOne
05/03/2009, 10:10 AM
Yeah no matter how little you need per day, the systems are only made in certain models and sizes, and 75 GPD is the smallest.

Check out the 75 GPD unit from Bulk Reef Supply, I use it and have had no problems or complaints. Plus they're a US company based in MN, and they have other great stuff like really cheap dry rock. They're a sponsor of some of the forums so mention you're a member on the ones you're on and they may hook up a discount. Oh, I just checked it out, they sponsor this forum:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=469

Honestly I have spent months price comparing and they're the best for the quality. There are some super cheap systems on eBay for like $90 but there are a lot of flooding stories and they just look shoddy, even. Bulk Reef Supply is maybe $20 more and it's quality and comes with two adapters for a hose and for the sink.

That's something else you will want to consider, how the system attaches to your water main. A lot of the RODI units use a saddle valve or a saddle piercing valve which will literally punch a hole into your pipe to make the water intake channel. That seems needlessly destructive and pretty leaky.

Uh, I guess you may have gathered it, but I highly recommend this system.

syrinx
05/03/2009, 10:45 AM
Saddle piercing is standard plumbing- checkout how your icemaker is likely hooked up. Not reccomended for rental units though. Point being if it is a standard saddle unit it is up to code.