PDA

View Full Version : Molt over!! Mantis new color!! wow!!

geffhardy2
04/18/2009, 05:32 PM
My Pseudosquilla Ciliata has been burrowed away for about 6 days doing a molt. This is the first time I have seen him do this molting trick. He was green with a white strip. When I came home today he was out for the first time and he was 95% a different color. Now he is a light brown and white. Their is no green on his body at all. Its funny because when I first saw him for one second I really thought it was a different mantis.

I did read that P. Ciliata have a tendency to change colors more then some other type of mantis shrimp.

He is the color of the sea grass infront of his burrow now

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/5198/216300mantis2.jpg

J2FcM
04/20/2009, 11:48 AM
looks pretty nice.

My Smithii turned much brighter after her molt... vibrant colors of green.

after a while she darkened back up, prolly once she was fully hardened since when her color was back to normal the "game of marbles" (aka smashing everything) started back up.

ladyonyx
04/20/2009, 12:48 PM
Glad he came out of the molt okay. My P. ciliata is green with the white stripe too; she's molted twice so far but hasn't changed color at all. Her rapts are a little bit more mottled green and white than they were originally, but that's about it. I have green marco in my tank though (Halimeda and Ulva), so I guess she's comfortable staying green. Fun stuff!

geffhardy2
04/20/2009, 06:03 PM
Hopefully he does not change back. because I like his new color much more.

micstarz
04/20/2009, 10:57 PM
Wow! There was another story about a Neogonodactylus wennerae doing the same thing earlier. My P. ciliata is currently molting, so I'm hoping for some yellows, reds or blacks...most probably he/she will get darker, though. I've noticed her shell getting darker and darker underneath, though.