PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Baffles to a Rubbermaid Sump?

E.intheC
04/18/2009, 06:57 PM
I'm thinking about a DIY sump, and would like to get a rubbermaid bin. However, is it tough to attach acrylic baffles to the side walls?

Who has had success with this?

If you were to do it over, would you use a rubbermaid again, or go with an actual tank/store bought sump/DIY acrylic or glass/etc

Thanks!

bradbmbj
04/18/2009, 09:24 PM
How big of a sump are you looking to build?

shovel
04/18/2009, 09:29 PM
i tried it but the sides bowed out and the silocone pulled away

E.intheC
04/18/2009, 09:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14853892#post14853892 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bradbmbj
How big of a sump are you looking to build?

I'm trying to build as big a sump as possible. That being said, I have an Oceanic Cube tank and stand (stock stand). The sump has to be 18inches long (or less) and 18 inches wide. No standard glass tanks fit that criteria. There are some specifically made for this stand out of acrylic, but they're around $130-200 and frankly aren't wide enough (from front to back of stand).

Even a standard 10 gallon is a bit too long, and I'll have to turn it around and make it stick out the back 2 inches. Something I'm willing to do if I have to, but it'll be weird trying to get either the drain lines or the return lines to go from the front of the stand to the back, and then up to the tank.

bradbmbj
04/18/2009, 10:07 PM
You may be able to put another smaller container inside of your main container for a fuge, just tee off one of the drain lines with a ball valve and let the fuge container just spill over into the main sump, if you are going to run an in sump skimmer you can put it on a shelf if needed to adjust for the water depth.

E.intheC
04/18/2009, 10:11 PM
hmm.. those are great points too. I was thinking about using a smaller container as well.

many options and much to think about.

I'm pretty sure I won't be adding a fuge though.. This sump will be for holding equipment, allowing me to buy an in-sump skimmer, and adding overall water volume.

Thanks for the replies so far!

bradbmbj
04/18/2009, 10:14 PM
I had my sump custom made by Glasscages.com, they can give you a free quote. I do understand it may be out of the range of what you want to spend but it may be worth a try.

E.intheC
04/18/2009, 11:35 PM
hmm.. I can get an acrylic cube that's 16x16x16 for $111.. that seems reasonable.. It would only be the tank though. I'll have to think about that as well.

Or, I can get a 27 gallon glass cube that's 18x18x16 for $133

hmm..