PDA

View Full Version : Does strong lighting bleach LPS?

Seaworthy
04/19/2009, 01:19 AM
I have a nice Scoly that was quite colorful when I got it a year ago. It has been under 1 x 150 HQI and 2 x 65 PC lighting at a depth of 22" which apparently wasn't enough as it lost a good amount of coloring. I moved it to my new tank which is 4 x 250 SE MH and 4 x 54 T5. The coloring is coming back but a number of areas that were brown are bleaching white. I light acclimated for about a week (I know it was too short) but can the lights be bleaching it? I didn't think the 250's would be that strong especially given that the scoly is about 25" down on the sand. Could it be something else? It does seem a good sign that the green's and red's are coming back.

tipmoff
04/19/2009, 06:44 AM
Pics will help.... but looking at the minimum facts provided your lighting in wattage is up 40% (with just one MH being counted not 3) and different MH ballast, bulbs, and reflectors could make it even much higher. There is only a 3" depth difference lower so I'm figuring the brown areas which turned white are bleaching out bc of the change in light. Post some pics and I'm sure another member who has years of Scoly experience can narrow it down more.
Good luck.

elegance coral
04/19/2009, 07:05 AM
Try putting some window screen over the portion of the tank that houses the scoly. Sounds like it's getting a little to much light to quick.

ohiofry
04/19/2009, 04:37 PM
Strong lighting can definately wash out the colors on Acans.
Most of the time it turns them red, and they loose all other colors.