PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Capacity??

smstrick20
04/19/2009, 04:19 PM
I am about to begin work on my DIY skimmer and am trying to decide on my tube diameter and height, what is the best way to determine capacity when it comes to skimmers. I am building something that will run min. a 300 gal, and I wold like it to be capable of handling somehing around 1200 gal as I plan to upgrade once we move in the fall?

smstrick20
04/19/2009, 08:26 PM
Ok someone has to have a theory or a calculation here....I mean I know bigger is usually better, the larger, and taller the tube, the more bubbles and contact time, Im just wondering what kind of capacity I can expect to get with what dimensions.

More info: It will be either a dual or quad beckett

One Dumm Hikk
04/20/2009, 01:46 AM
There is no magical calculation to know that if you build a skimmer that is AxBxC dimensions and put K lph of air through it that it will handle M gallons of water. How much water is in the system has very little to do with it. It has more to do with bioload. A fully stocked 300 gallon system will take a totally different skimmer than a lightly stocked 360 gallon system.

If it were as simple as you want to make it sound, then the manufacturers wouldn't be so off-base with the ratings on skimmers.

Best thing to do? If you want a beckett skimmer, look at MRC'es site, find one for the size tank you want to handle, then duplicate it or use it as a starting point.