PDA

View Full Version : Korallin 1502c Ca Reactor Problems

Tswifty
04/19/2009, 08:46 PM
Need some help figuring out just what the heck is going on with my Ca Reactor. Figured I would post a question before I rip out and replace all the hoses.

This is the second night in a row, I came back to the output stopping then surging. Upon further investigation, I noticed that there was about 1 inch of trapped air inside the reactor. Last night, I simply opened the bleeder valve... the air was released, and all was good again. However, tonight I tried the same thing with no success.

So I'm wondering how the heck air is getting inside the reactor in the first place? Has anyone dealt with this, or does anyone have any ideas?

Here are some pics:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/ReactorAir1.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/ReactorAir2.jpg

dcs03tx
04/19/2009, 08:52 PM
Looks like you have the outlet cross threaded. This would allow air in. I had the same problem once

jdieck
04/19/2009, 09:05 PM
Yes, check for leaks on the recirculation piping specially the one on the inlet of the recirculation pump. Also check that the feed pump is not suctioning bubbles or air. Insure that the CO2 bubble rate is not so high that it accumulates and finally use the bleed line as effluent line so there will be no more accumulation.

Tswifty
04/19/2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks,

I shut the recirc pump down, and the reactor filled, and went back to normal. Then when I kicked the recirc pump back on... the air came back.

I'll try using the bleed line as well. The recommended effluent line on this reactor connects to the recirc pumps output. So I'll just switch the J/G valve fitting to that line.

jdieck
04/19/2009, 09:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14859186#post14859186 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty
Thanks,

I shut the recirc pump down, and the reactor filled, and went back to normal. Then when I kicked the recirc pump back on... the air came back.

I'll try using the bleed line as well. The recommended effluent line on this reactor connects to the recirc pumps output. So I'll just switch the J/G valve fitting to that line.
If the air came back when you started the recirculation pump, it might be a certain sign of a leak in the recirculation circuit or pump.

Yes, the recommended effluent line comes from the recirculation circuit and recommend leaving the bleed line slightly open but I have seen no issues when using only the bleed line as effluent when using a powerhead or other pumped means of feeding the reactor.

Tswifty
04/19/2009, 09:38 PM
Currently I'm feeding the reactor off of a manifold... That branch has a ball valve on it, then I use a needle valve to dial in the flow right before the reactor.

My effluent line then runs wide open, and unrestricted.

Tswifty
04/19/2009, 10:36 PM
Well I got everything taken apart, replaced some of the hoses on the reactor, and switched up the effluent and bleed line. Then after I took the Recirc Pump off, and cleaned it... I realized the tubing I had on hand was a little too large, so I need to pick up the proper stuff tomorrow morning.

to be continued...

jdieck
04/19/2009, 10:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14859397#post14859397 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty
Currently I'm feeding the reactor off of a manifold... That branch has a ball valve on it, then I use a needle valve to dial in the flow right before the reactor.

My effluent line then runs wide open, and unrestricted.
Yes, when feeding from a manifold which is usually a higher pressure and less stable than usual, the best way is to have the effluent flow adjustment needle valve is at the reactor's inlet.

Tswifty
04/20/2009, 09:35 AM
Picked up the appropriate recirc pump tubing, and installed it today. The reactor seems to be running normal again. Hopefully there won't be anymore air leaks.

jdieck
04/20/2009, 09:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14861533#post14861533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty
Picked up the appropriate recirc pump tubing, and installed it today. The reactor seems to be running normal again. Hopefully there won't be anymore air leaks.
Great, you should not have furder problems specially using the bleed line for effluent so any small bubble accumulation will drain out.

BigJay
04/20/2009, 10:11 AM
According to the instructions, the bleed line (labeled ausgang) is meant to have some flow going through it, maybe a drop or so every few seconds. That gets rid of excess air that can lock up the reactor.

The effluent is meant to run out of the line near the recirc pump (labeled entluftung) so that the additional pressure pushes the water out. I'm pretty sure that's done on purpose to prevent detritus in the tankwater from clogging the effluent line.

The Korallin instructions are here BTW if you want to read them: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=449820&highlight=korallin

I had the same problem you have. Running the reactor on a return pump manifold means that some air (i.e. not just CO2) will get into it. Every time your pump re-primes that air is expelled through both the manifold and the return lines, and most of it will just leak out of the bleed line in the top of your reactor. My issue was that the air bubbles would get trapped in the effluent line and change the effluent rate.

I also changed the needle valve on the effluent line to a really nice gate valve with JG fittings from USPlastics.com.
http://www.usplastic.com/images/products/valves/22254p.jpg

I hope this helps mate.

Tswifty
04/20/2009, 10:36 AM
This is the valve I am currently using.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/New%20Rimless/Needle1.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/New%20Rimless/Needle2.jpg

Tswifty
04/20/2009, 10:39 AM
I have the bleed line working as the effluent line right now, and will give that a shot for a few days to see how it works. If I notice some issues with the effluent rate, or bubbles clogging up the line, I will probably revert back to the old setup, and just run the bleed line wide open.

BigJay
04/20/2009, 10:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14861901#post14861901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty
This is the valve I am currently using.

That's right! You're the one who keyed Pete (psteeleb) and I in on it. :lol:

I hope this all works out for you.

jdieck
04/20/2009, 10:53 AM
You will be OK, on the original the intent of having the effluent line out of the recirculation piping was to provide for some additional pressure for gravity feed. You shall not have any issues as you are not feeding by gravity and your effluent (bleed) line can not be plugged with detritus as it is being controlled on the input but the valve in the input could which is one of the disadvantages of running it on the inlet.

Tswifty
04/20/2009, 11:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14862002#post14862002 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigJay
That's right! You're the one who keyed Pete (psteeleb) and I in on it. :lol:

I hope this all works out for you.
:lol: :thumbsup:

Thanks... I'm a little aggravated, because the tank was starting to stabilize out very nicely. I just made the modifications this morning, so it will more than likely take a few days before I can declare it "fixed."

Tswifty
04/20/2009, 06:18 PM
The Eheim recirculating pump was vibrating pretty badly, and when I felt it... it was extremely hot to the touch. So I figured I better open it up. When I opened it up, some black liquid poured out. I gave it a good cleaning, and soaked it in cold water to cool it down. Now I'm getting ready to fire it up again.

Any idea what the black liquid was? The rubber bushings on the end of the ceramic shaft maybe? I'm hoping the pump didn't burn out or something.

jdieck
04/20/2009, 10:42 PM
If it ran dry it might have overheated and shorted some of the windings in the body. If it overheats again or continue with issues you might need to replace it.
The bleck liquid could be just water with some rubber mounting material but could also be burn barnish or oil from the windings. Moitor it closely as that oily material could be toxic for the tank or a short circuit may develop.

Tswifty
04/20/2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks, I'll definitely keep an eye on it. My first guess was that it was from the rubber end caps, because I didn't notice a sheen on the liquid. Also, the pump has been running for a few hours now, is running cool to the touch, and silent again... so hopefully that is a good sign that nothing serious is wrong.

The reactor seems to be running well right now. I do get some fluctuation in the effluent rate every now and again, but for the past few hours it seems to be holding well.

BigJay
04/21/2009, 07:44 AM
If you do need to replace the pump, an eheim 1048 will only cost 60-70 bucks or so. You can use some of the existing pump parts, and use the new drive.