PDA

View Full Version : Heat Wave

J2FcM
04/20/2009, 11:51 AM
So -

Smithii just got her new 29gal biocube but the air temp in So Cal decided to jump pretty high over the weekend.

I got her tank with the heater basically turned to like 60 degrees, and the damn tank Temp is at 85°!!!

Smithii's recommended up to 83... debating taking the heater out (annoying) or just seeing if it goes down.
I suppose Ill just end up turning the heater off, and then check this evening.
arghle gru!

Koshmar
04/20/2009, 11:59 AM
I had the same problem as you when i first introduced my cuttle. I had a temp of 85 for a while. I gradually brought it down by lowering the thermostat in the house and aiming a regular cooling fan at the water surface. Also if you take off the lid to the tank, evaporative cooling will help out a lot, though you will loose a ton of water and have to top off like crazy.

sabazerehi
04/20/2009, 12:42 PM
i live in socal as well, i have my heater on a timer, so it turns on only late at night. and if i need to, i'll open the lid a little as well. seems to work, i've had my mantis since september.

J2FcM
04/20/2009, 12:44 PM
ah yes - my tiny 8 gal also had an open top... thats prolly it then...

justinl
04/20/2009, 01:17 PM
well first make sure it isn't just a debunk heater. If it turns out it really is just the BC (they are notoriously bad for heat control) you can just leave the feeding flap open all the time and if necessary, point a fan in there. You can also prop the lid open if you like.

mdavis203
04/20/2009, 01:58 PM
I'd be scared my idiot cats would jump on top of it and try to fish for my perc.

Gonodactylus
04/20/2009, 04:37 PM
I set the recommended temperatures for various stomatopods based on my experience with the habitats from which they come as well as lab experience. G. smithii is a reef flat species that will experience much higher temperatures for a few hours. I've seen them survive in tidepools that were 36 degrees C. However, they cannot live at these high temperatures for long periods.

My lab is held at 25-26 degrees so that we don' have to use heaters. Lights are a problem with this high an ambient temperature so we don't use them.

Roy

Fuegan
04/20/2009, 05:49 PM
I turned my heater off a while ago.

I seem to be controlling temperature by opening and closing the feeding flap on my nanocube.

The same thing happened last summer and on really hot days I add a frozen bottle of water to the tank. I keep a couple of regular arrowhead drinking water bottles frozen in the freezer during hot periods.

micstarz
04/20/2009, 10:59 PM
Same problem with my cuttle here, Kohmar ;D