PDA

View Full Version : Mass Aiptasia Control - LR in Kalkwasser mix?

BlackieReefer
04/20/2009, 04:53 PM
So I have one nice chunk of LR that is covered in Aiptasia. Everytime I treat the rock they just come back double strength. This rock is very porous and so it is difficult for me to get any Aiptasia control stuff deep into the rocks holes.

What kind of an affect would it have on the LR if I completely submerged it into a bucket of Kalkwasser mix for a prolonged amount of time? Obviously my goal is to completely kill off the Aiptasia hiding inside the rock, but I don't want to damage this piece of LR as it is very nice.

kraze3
04/20/2009, 04:57 PM
Why not just dry the rock out, clean it thoroughly and then you can re-add it back to the tank. The other LR will seed the rock and it will once again become LR.

1602reefer
04/20/2009, 04:58 PM
If you can buy some Aptasia X and try that first before you do a whole dip like that. I think you will kill all the beneficial bacteria in the live rock if you do that. I had a lot on my live rock to and this stuff worked great. They eat the stuff and then implode and die. Try this stuff first I think you will be happy with the results.

cdbias2
04/20/2009, 05:21 PM
I've heard crazy survival stories about aptasia living on dried rock after months of drying.
I would soak it in FW before and after drying to be sure.

Willi
04/21/2009, 07:51 AM
Aptasia X is great stuff. If you can go in and nuke as many aptasia as you can and then go buy 6-8 peppermint shrimp to help eat the smaller aptasia. Peppermint shrimp tend to be social in nature and will mow down young aptasia better when in groups. Maybe even move this rock to a quarantine tank and do the above mentioned. Hope this helps.

mcoomer
04/21/2009, 08:58 AM
I would do what you're thinking and simply drop the whole rock in a bucket of kalk. Leave it in there for a few days then take it out. If you have a Q-tank you could throw it in there and see if they come back before returning it to your main tank.

Mike