PDA

View Full Version : New wrasse caretaker

BucNtears
04/20/2009, 05:19 PM
Well guys and gals I've finally purchased my 1st wrasse its a female Melanarus that I picked up for $20.00. She is already swimming about the tank and is getting along well with the others.

My fish list consists of the following.
1 Clown Goby {green}
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Horsoface Blenny
1 Starry Blenny
5 Chromis {blue}
1 Geo Metric Hawkfish {pigmy}
1 newly added Melanarus Wrasse

Now I'm looking to add another Wrasse or 2 what would you suggest and how many more can I get away with adding..
Tank size 120 with a 75 sump. Skimmer is an Octopus 250 recirculating.

Thanks for suggesting

tcmfish
04/20/2009, 09:06 PM
Depending on your budget I would look at the fairy wrasses. A cheaper one would be the lubbock's or on the expensive side a flame or rhomboid. Or you could try a leopard wrasse if you are willing to suit its food needs. They can be picky sometimes.

snorvich
04/21/2009, 08:10 AM
The keep a leopard wrasse requires a bit of luck AND a tank with lots of amphipods and copepods naturally occurring. Assuming you can get them to eat frozen, they are grazers requiring multiple feedings per day.

If you buy a fairy wrasse, you need a covered tank (not egg crate).

I have both.

BucNtears
04/21/2009, 03:01 PM
I've made a covering useing the bird netting and screen. I'ld love to get a leopard wrasse but I'm concerned with getting one that has no damage to its mouth. From what I understand thats one of the biggest problems with the leopard wrasse.

Ruby Head Wrasse
Yellow Fin Fairy Wrasse
African Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Velvet Multicolor Fairy Wrasse
Orange - Back Fairy Wrasse
Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse
Multicolor Lubbock's Wrasse

Above are some of the wrasse I'm interested in any suggestion as to how many and maybe other wrasse I should look into.

Lastly any new additions must be able to get along with the Melanarus wrasse{since he is my 1st wrasse}

Thanks for the help

BucNtears
04/24/2009, 02:59 PM
A lfs has a couple of wrasse in stock. They've got a pair of
Blue Flasher Wrasse for $28.00 each
Mystery wrasse $120.00

What you guys think would it be ok adding these guys to the current mix?

bradleyj
04/24/2009, 04:33 PM
The mystery wrasse could become a problem because once they are established in your tank, they become very aggressive. Especially to any newcomers. If you are intent on adding a mystery, I would wait untill it is your last fish that you add.

BucNtears
04/24/2009, 04:41 PM
What about adding the blue flashers? I'll skip the mystery wrasse

bradleyj
04/24/2009, 05:12 PM
They would be fine. Flashers are awsome.

iamwrasseman
04/24/2009, 09:50 PM
i would go with the flashers especially if you plan on adding any fish at a later date . the mystery wrasse will creat aggression problems twards any new comers .

BucNtears
04/25/2009, 05:48 AM
Thanks guys, One last question how can I make sure one of the blue flashers is a female?

Thanks

OceanLover2
04/25/2009, 06:38 PM
Midas Blenny!

BucNtears
04/25/2009, 08:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14896795#post14896795 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OceanLover2
Midas Blenny!

I passed one the blue flashers, both were males.

I"ve got 2 blennys already. Starry and a horseface.
I really do like the Midas blenny, I'll keep my eye out for one.

I'm thinking I could get away with adding 3-5 more fish as long as I keep the smaller types..

Any more suggestions welcomed