PDA

View Full Version : Syphoning Live Sand

Bulldogger2008
04/21/2009, 02:06 PM
How often or should you at all? Some people say syphon, some say don't disturb the sand bedding at all.

Ragman Jones
04/21/2009, 02:19 PM
From what I've gathered, Leave it be. You'll be disturbing the beneficial bacteria that have taken root in there.

A few sand-sifting Snails/hermits is more than enough.

seapug
04/21/2009, 02:20 PM
I think siphoning is a bit extreme but using a stick or turkey baster to gently turn the top 1 inch or so of substrate once/week can help kick up detritus that can then be removed with a water change or sucked out with a protein skimmer.

Bulldogger2008
04/21/2009, 02:27 PM
yeah i got into a discussion with a co-workers father who mentioned that I was doing way too many water changes. I've been doing 10% every 2 weeks, he states thats too much, more like 10 every 6 weeks. He states I'm removing all the good bacteria. I should only be topping off in between water changes. Any take on all this. Oh and I do not have a protein skimmer. I have 2 magnums, 2 koralia #3 and 4 bio wheels,

hunterd_67
04/21/2009, 03:13 PM
get urself sum cerith snails and a tiger cuke, those critters will take care of ur sandbed, stirring up the sandbed will lead to trouble

cubsFAN
04/21/2009, 04:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14870318#post14870318 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bulldogger2008
yeah i got into a discussion with a co-workers father who mentioned that I was doing way too many water changes. I've been doing 10% every 2 weeks, he states thats too much, more like 10 every 6 weeks. He states I'm removing all the good bacteria. I should only be topping off in between water changes. Any take on all this. Oh and I do not have a protein skimmer. I have 2 magnums, 2 koralia #3 and 4 bio wheels,

i think the water change amount you are doing is great and it is not even close to too much. you should top your water off as it evaporates so the salinity dosent have big swings. a protein skimmer is good, but need more info about your tank ie livestock, liverock, and whatever else anyone can think of. It would good imo. Im guessing the magnums are canister filters. make sure you keep them clean or they will build up nitrates. You may need a little more flow or different flow depending on the shape of your tank and what kind of livestock you have or want. If you have sufficient live rock you shouldnt need the bio wheels or any additional bio filtration. now give me a bulldog puppy.

Bulldogger2008
04/21/2009, 09:37 PM
That would be an expensive gift, lol. I have a 125 long, around 150 lbs of live rock and 120 lbs of live sand. Currently running 2 Magnum 350's. One has carbon running and the other has denitrate running in it along with a cup of phosguard in a panty hoe sitting inside the cannister on top of the denitrate. 2 Koralia #3 power head one high one low and another power head running low behind the rcoks sitting on the back of the glass. I have 4 bio wheels hooked up to the magnums getting the return water from the pumps. Other than that I've been doing 10% water changes every 2 weeks. I have 1 Yellow Fin Naso Tang, 1 Yellow Tang and 2 damsels. 10 turbo snails, 2 sand sifting stars and some hermit crabs. Corals are all doing well, GSP, WMP, BP, Leather Cabbage and a Torch Coral. I dose once a week with Iodine, Strongium and some Phytoplankton. So what do you think. All parameters are good, nothing too high or too low.

Flipper62
04/21/2009, 10:12 PM
I always puff the sand with a turkey baster right before my water change. This gets the crap floating & then I suck it out with the syphon. Every 4 or 5 water changes I then use the syphon on the sand, but just the top 1/4 inch. Been doing it this way for a long time & the sand looks good. No bad affects

E.intheC
04/21/2009, 10:31 PM
bulldogger, it sounds like your setup is more geared toward a freshwater than a salt, IMHO.. Do you havea protein skimmer? You should definitely do that. I'd consider selling one (or both) the canister filters if necessary. Don't get me wrong, canisters are not always a bad idea, but they can become nitrate traps.

You're doing a perfect amount of water changes. Maybe even more. I strive for 10% weekly water changes, but I'm probably going to reduce that a bit.

That said, for having 2 month's experience, it seems you're doing pretty well. (Much better than me at that stage, lol)

Good luck.

Oh.. Bulldog for me too :cool:

You may want to think about adding another powerhead as well.. get some more flow.

jrizo1
04/21/2009, 10:34 PM
water flow may be the aswer

Bulldogger2008
04/22/2009, 06:07 AM
I have 2 Koralias #3 one high at one end, one medium high at lthe other end and one maxijet at the low back pushing water behind the rocks. So maybe add the other maxi on the opposite back end pushing water from the backside of the rocks so that both heads meat on opposite ends?

Bulldogger2008
04/22/2009, 06:10 AM
as far as the sand goes, i have a lot of creatures sifting through the sand. will this work instead of syphoning the sand.

E.intheC
04/22/2009, 06:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14874355#post14874355 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bulldogger2008
I have 2 Koralias #3 one high at one end, one medium high at lthe other end and one maxijet at the low back pushing water behind the rocks. So maybe add the other maxi on the opposite back end pushing water from the backside of the rocks so that both heads meat on opposite ends?

I like that idea. Play around with it until you get something that you and your inhabitants like.

Random flow is best, so if the powerheads can be directed at each other, (at least your two K3's, then that'll be best)

I like the idea of having the MJ's pointed around the back of the rocks.

Bulldogger2008
04/22/2009, 06:34 AM
any idea on a good skimmer I can use that can be placed in the cabinet underneath the tank.

E.intheC
04/22/2009, 06:44 AM
do you have a sump, or no? If yes, there are tons of skimmers that will work well for you. If not, you'll have to get a hang on back (HOB) skimmer. It'll be tough to find one that will work for that large a tank, but they're out there.

Take a look at the filtration forums to get some good ideas. I'm not really up to date on the large tank skimmers, but I do know some general brands that are good and a lot that aren't.

Good luck!

Bulldogger2008
04/22/2009, 06:46 AM
No Sump, dont know a darn thing about them. I probably need to get one and get off my but and learn how they work.

E.intheC
04/22/2009, 07:25 AM
;) .. I'm in the same boat as you with the sump. Water changes will be sufficient until you are able to sufficiently research and weigh your different options.

By the way, be very wary of skimmer's ratings.. for the most part, they're vastly overrated.

Sk8r
04/22/2009, 07:33 AM
Sand-cleaning critters, bristleworms get the surface and the holes in rocks, helped out by hermits; snails get the glass and rock surfaces, and sand-burrowers like nassarius and conchs get the pockets of crud in the sandbed, under the surface, and they do it 24/7, so if you have enough critters, you won't have a problem.

Re skimmers: definitely helpful with stony coral, though softies don't mind a little 'extra' crud in the water, even relish it, up to a point. When you do get a skimmer, get one for 2x the water volume of your tank and you'll be far happier with it.

Bulldogger2008
04/22/2009, 07:53 AM
any recommendations on a good HOB skimmer for a 125 long.

santi
04/22/2009, 08:15 AM
if you are planning on a sump in the near future, i would hold off on the hob skimmer and just wait to get one for the sump,-you'll be alot happier and won't have to waste more money gettiing a better skimmer later.