PDA

View Full Version : Ghost shrimp mortality

saltyj
04/21/2009, 04:26 PM
I have a 10 gallon filled half way that I keep my ghost shrimp in on the porch (cause they stink). I have an air line in it, but is there a better way to not lose so many. ie. filtration etc.? BTW they are the freshwwater ones not "salt"
I use these to feed, so I'm not concerned with them living forever just long enough to feed the lions and huma.
Thanks

FMarini
04/21/2009, 04:44 PM
cool water, fair amount of water movement, high O2 levels and food, these guys eat a ton

Recty
04/21/2009, 04:58 PM
Your ghost shrimp shouldnt be stinking... that might be part of your problem right there. That indicates to me poor water quality.

Increase filtration, maybe run a small filter with a carbon bag in it to remove organics and what not out of the water.

The zeolite stuff, the little white rocks, work well in freshwater for removing ammonia, which you probably have a decent amount of if the water is stinky.

LisaD
04/21/2009, 06:39 PM
are you sure they are freshwater? I have been able to easily acclimate the LFS's "freshwater" ghosts to brackish. Now the store keeps them in brackish tanks because they hold up a lot better. you need filtration, stable temperatures, lots of O2, decent food.

dendro982
04/22/2009, 04:44 AM
For 2 yrs I kept 50, rarely 1000, FW ghost shtimps (feeder shrimp) in ~15g of water (18g translucent CleverLatch storage container from hardware store). No stench at all, but this is one more tank to care for: watch water quality (especially ammonia spikes), remove dead and uneaten food, provide hiding places, clean, change water, heat (76F), filtration (large corner filters and power filter for the flow). Sponge filters should be OK.

Mortality on arrival could be high: up to 1/3 of 50, but usually 7-8. Higher, if guy counts them passing each through fingers, or if had to run to catch the bus - with the bag under winter coat. They were shaken badly.

You have to have established bacterial population (cycled tank) with sufficient amount of biomedia (could be sponge with flow through) or use bacterial support (Seachem Stability or any other) and ammonia neutralizer (tap water conditioner) until bacteria establish themselves in this tank.

The good part is water changes - FW is cheap :rollface:

sunfishh
04/22/2009, 11:34 AM
Agree with everyone. Get yourself a sponge filter and hook it up to your airline. Also do regular particle water changes. Your shrimp system should be back to smelling good in no time.

saltyj
04/22/2009, 12:12 PM
ok sounds like a lot of work to keep food alive, but I'll give all the ideas a shot

Recty
04/22/2009, 12:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14876177#post14876177 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyj
ok sounds like a lot of work to keep food alive, but I'll give all the ideas a shot Well, they are living creatures. Just because you're feeding them to other fish doesnt mean they dont have basic environmental needs like nutrition and cleanliness that have to be met in order for them to survive.