PDA

View Full Version : hair algae growing in acan colony

kellen
04/21/2009, 06:30 PM
I have no hair algae in my reef with the exception of this one medium sized acan. It growing right in the center I have already lost one polyp to it. I have try pruning, scraping and super glue and its no help.

any ideas would be great.

Justin74
04/21/2009, 07:07 PM
Just try doing it again and if you havent before, try doing them all at the same time. Prune and scrape it all out, then cover it completely with super glue gel, or epoxy. Another couple things to also consider toping it all off, is boost and keep your Mg levels higher than NSW like 1500, some even have reported success with 1800ppm for a good week. And no water changes, let as much iron in the system be consumed, without replenishing trace amounts of it back into the system via waterchanges, this too will stop helping the stuff grow. Just some ideas.

-Justin

kellen
04/21/2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the input Justin. I'm going to try raising Mg over the next week or so and keep treating the area.

Justin74
04/21/2009, 09:12 PM
Your not alone! I too have been boosting my Mg, in fact I've added more in the past month than my whole 6 years reefing combined! You'd be amazed at the intake a normal healthy reef has. I know I was clueless...But like others have recently reported my micro algae mess has been turning into blobulous matter and is slowly melting away. Im sure it wont totally wipe out the system, but it'll definitely dent the couple pounds I do have!

-Justin

All Delight
04/22/2009, 12:12 AM
How bad is it? Do you have a pic?