PDA

View Full Version : Do bangaiis become sexually mature before becoming full grown?

Radioheadx14
04/22/2009, 01:30 PM
My bangaiis have held four clutches so far. First one was aborted after 2 weeks, second one had four babies that were premature and died in two days. Third clutch was also aborted and the fourth gave me 6 babies that I fished out of my DT. All but one are still kicking after a week in a tank of their own. (one got sucked up in a pump when I tried to catch it ). My bangaiis are pretty small still. I have seen much bigger ones before. I've had them for about 16 months and they were pretty small when I got them.

Do are they sexually mature before becoming full grown like humans? Im wondering because I'm hoping I get more than six babies in the future. It's always hard to tell if they are still growing but they do seem to be growing.

FMarini
04/22/2009, 11:08 PM
in my experience banggai males can start holding eggs around 4 months, however if you have mature fish in the tank as well, it will usually take6-8 months before sexual maturity.

Centropyge
04/27/2009, 02:50 PM
I have the same experience as FMarini with my Bangaii. I had a four month old male spawn with a 6 month old female and produce 7 young the first time out. The second attempt they produced 17, and the third spawning was 21. All the eggs were held the entire duration and grow out was normal. All before reaching one year of age.

Radioheadx14
05/01/2009, 07:23 PM
How long does it take them to reach their full size? Mine are a good size but I have seen much, much larger ones