PDA

View Full Version : bamboo cat shark

stuccodude
04/22/2009, 03:07 PM
will one be ok with a dogface puffer and a lion fish in a 325 fowlr with 3inch sand bed possibly later on a trigger (the one thats ok with the lionfish) thanks

badbrady06
04/22/2009, 03:15 PM
no way. sharks and puffers dont mix

anbosu
04/22/2009, 03:18 PM
I think triggers are known to nip at sharks also. I think the lionfish would be a pretty good fit though.

DamnPepShrimp
04/22/2009, 03:40 PM
Triggers and puffers don't mix with sharks. You might be able to get a bluethroat or similar trigger though, I don't know for sure. I thought a lionfish would be a good tankmate as well, but a lot of shark owners said they don't mix well. I guess the lionfish and shark could bump each other having the shark get stung? I'd suggest eels, groupers, tangs, anthias, damsels etc would be your best bet. What are the dimensions on the 325g? I'm sure a bamboo would out grow that, might want to look into coral cat sharks.

boogie10
04/22/2009, 06:56 PM
Stuccodude: The reason why puffers/triggers/angels, etc do not mix with sharks - at all - is because those fish are reef pickers...

Basically, they cannot help their instinct to pick at moving things, or things that look like anything that might move, or anything that looks delicious...

Shark eyes look delicious to them, not because they are shark eyes, but because they look like little marine reef animals that would be lovely to eat....

Sorry - I love them all too.

I have coral cat shark with other sharks and tangs and eels. My triggers are in my sump, my puffers are in my refugium (really just another large tank - not much of a refugium).

If you mix them you will have a blind shark.

DamnPepShrimp
04/22/2009, 07:22 PM
boogie, I agree with what you said but I don't believe what you have, post pics to prove it!!!! :D

boogie10
04/22/2009, 07:38 PM
I'm redoing my tank. Adding an 800 gallon refugium in my garage and then redoing the plumbing and redoing all the wood - huge job. When done - will try to do pictures - I suck at taking tank pictures.

DamnPepShrimp
04/22/2009, 08:33 PM
Well some before and after pictures would be sweet! Sounds like a huge project! Goodluck!

stuccodude
04/23/2009, 01:56 PM
thanks all, i will decline on the shark cause i really want a puffer, tanks been up for about 3 months so its time to add a couple fish. ive learned so much from reefcentral and my reef tank, its gonna be nice to have a fowlr and a reef.

vamaro
05/02/2009, 11:04 PM
I have stingray and I heard the same thing about mixing them with triggers and puffers. I keeps tangs with the rays.

pheromo
05/03/2009, 06:38 PM
i have three bamboo sharks, a porcupine puffer, spanish hog, tomatoe clown, striped eel (not sure taxonomy, miniatus grouper (there temporarily), lookdown, two foxfaces and bluethroat trigger in a 450 gallon .... they eat alot but they've been in there for four years no nip ...

in 3000 gallon, four or five triggers, three puffers no problem ...

all of our tanks have small trigger and medium to big puffers and all are ok for years ...

vamaro
05/03/2009, 08:58 PM
Pheromo - did you add the puffers in last, or do it not matter? My son has a really nice porc puffer about 5 inches long that would be happier in my larger tank, but I worry about the rays. He also has a nice bluethroat trigger about 4.5 inches, also really mellow, same concerns.

Vince

rguyler
05/12/2009, 08:18 PM
Great thread to illustrate that there are no hard and fast rules in this hobby where fish temperaments are concerned. Fish are a lot like people in that they too are all different, even fish that are the same species. You might be able to mix a bamboo cat shark with a trigger or a puffer but are you willing to take that chance?

lendz
05/13/2009, 05:00 AM
My big sharks has a pikaso triggerfish tankmate. No problems at all.

While the lionfish, it turned out to be a bad result. And I dont want to elaborate more what happened to my lionfish.

rguyler
05/13/2009, 06:03 AM
I once had a miniatus and a clown trigger in the same tank and were tank mates for at least 2 years. I think most would agree that this mix should be okay, especially with the miniatus being larger than the clown. One day I cam e home and found that the miniatus was nothing but a skeleton and the clown was very fat... :)