PDA

View Full Version : any issues with swapping Ca & Kalc lines

psteeleb
04/22/2009, 10:03 PM
My Kalc reactor line to my sump gets a lot of build up over the course of a couple weeks. I run both a CA and Kalc reactor and they sit right next to each other. I was wondering if there would be any issues with swapping the effluent lines every once and a while to use the more acidic effluent from the Ca reactor to flush out the build up in the Kalc reactor line.

HighlandReefer
04/23/2009, 05:01 AM
The build-up is calcium carbonate that has precipitated out in the presence of the CO2 in the surrounding air. The best way to clean it would be to use diluted bleach periodically. Switching lines with your concentrated calcium chloride may add to the problem. ;)

MrPike
04/23/2009, 09:35 AM
The build-up is calcium carbonate that has precipitated out in the presence of the CO2 in the surrounding air. The best way to clean it would be to use diluted bleach periodically. Switching lines with your concentrated calcium chloride may add to the problem.

Why bleach? Wouldn't vinegar or Muriatic acid dissolve it better?

psteeleb
04/23/2009, 10:05 AM
I currently clean the tubing with diluted muriatic acid. It's just a pain to remove the tubing so I was considering flushing it with the acidic Ca reactor effluent. My concern is like mentioned; will the Ca reactor effluent ph be nutriled to a point where it just adds to the build up

psteeleb
04/23/2009, 01:06 PM
I currently clean the tubing with diluted muriatic acid. It's just a pain to remove the tubing so I was considering flushing it with the acidic Ca reactor effluent. My concern is like mentioned; will the Ca reactor effluent ph be nutriled to a point where it just adds to the build up

HighlandReefer
04/23/2009, 03:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14881993#post14881993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrPike
Why bleach? Wouldn't vinegar or Muriatic acid dissolve it better?

MrPike,

I stand corrected. I did not mean to say bleach, but I did. Diluted vinegar would be a safer option than some of the other acids used.

Thanks for picking up on my error. :o

tmz
04/24/2009, 12:32 AM
I think periodically switching the lines is a neat solution. The dissolved calcium carbonate in the low ph calcium reactor water should not be an issue and the low ph water should dissolve the precipitated calcium carbonate in the kalk line. I'd try your idea myself but my kalk dosing reservoir and calcium reactor are about 10 feet apart.

MrPike
04/24/2009, 09:47 AM
I stand corrected. I did not mean to say bleach, but I did. Diluted vinegar would be a safer option than some of the other acids used.

You give good advice in this forum. - I thought maybe there was some property in bleach that I was unaware of. :beer:

HighlandReefer
04/24/2009, 10:43 AM
Mr. Pike,

Thanks for the compliment. I try my best, but do make errors. I am grateful that there are hobbyists such as yourself around to catch them. I like to call them senior moments. There are advantages to getting older. :lol: