PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Suggestions for 65 gallon Reef

mattp13
04/23/2009, 12:44 AM
Hey, I'm in the process of setting up a 65 Gallon reef tank which will mainly hold soft corals/polyps/mushrooms and was wondering what your guys thoughts were on stocking it based on reef compatibility, peacefulness, numbers, etc.

I will be transplanting everything from my 35 gallon once the 65 is up and running; which will include all my sand, live rock and water. I will also be moving the fish over which will include a Yellow Tang, 10 Chromis, a Diamond Watchman Goby, 2 Cleaner Shrimp and various crabs/snails. I know that may seem like a lot for a 35 but it has been running this way for 5 months now with no problems and all water parameters are in check.

The new tank will be 36x18x24 with around 50lbs of sand and rock. I may add more rock once I see how much room there is in the new tank. I was thinking of getting 2 Ocellaris Clowns, a Purple Pseudochromis, a Six Line Wrasse and maybe a White Cheek Tang, a Naso Tang or a Convict Tang. Possibly a Banggai Cardinalfish or some Anthias if they are ok in a 65 gallon Tank.

To handle all this bioload I'll be running a protein skimmer, 2 Phosban Reactors (1 with GAC and 1 with RowaPhos) and might add a 10 Gallon refugium as well.

Also looking for some suggestions for some easy or cool looking corals. Will be running 2-24" Power Compacts for a total of 260W on the 65 Gallon tank.

Currently have various mushrooms, Green Starburst Polyps, Yellow Colony Polyps, a giant Toadstool Mushroom and a Fiji Yellow Tree Coral.

Any suggestions or advice on fish or corals would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry W
04/23/2009, 11:28 AM
In spite of the upgrade, your new tank is not suited to any more large fish, particularly tangs. IMO/IME your yellow tang will be quite cramped in time, assuming it's a small specimen now. 10 chromis is a lot! Again, it's going to be crowded. with less chromis, (they tend to pick each other off over time anyway), the clowns and sixline would be nice, although six lines are quite often nasty little fish that harass other small species (bangaii). Not sure how the pseudo and goby will get along. With regars to fish stocking, it's not just about adequate filtration. You need adequate space to avoid crowding. If fish are always "in each other's faces" there is added stress, which leads to compromised immne function and often times illness. It's not a big tank so stock conservatively.

Beaun
04/23/2009, 11:57 AM
I have a 65 and IMO there is not even close to enough space for any tang other than a Kole Tang, and even that is a big streach. Stick with small fish, the 6 line, psudo, and clowns are great ideas. Like Jerry said, 10 chromis is a lot of fish to add as well. A 65 simply dose not have the length needed to house larger fish or that number of fish. You can still have a lot of activity and some really cool fish, but the numbers and size are/should be limited to make sure that they are not stressed.

mattp13
04/23/2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I know tangs in tanks under 100 gallons starts some pretty heated arguments on these topics. Like I said the Tang and Chromis are all doing fine in a 35 gallon right now so they will be fine in a 65 seeing as they will have even more room. And the tang is fairly small right now, only 2" long. Once he gets bigger I will look at either upgrading the tank again or trading him in at the LFS.

I was kinda of thinking I should stick to small but the big once always look so nice at the LFS. Yeah nothing is set in stone for what I will add, just looking for some ideas and thoughts. I think the only one I really want right now are the 2 clowns.

Beaun
04/23/2009, 12:13 PM
I agree the big fish always look good at the store. But I find that once you get them home in a tank with rock, corals and other fish in it, they look huge and uncomfortable. There is definitly something to be said about small fish though. I like having fish that hide most of the time and swim in and around the rock all day. With a larger "display" fish that is the centerpiece of the tank.

mattp13
04/23/2009, 02:10 PM
Yeah that will always be a dilemma. I agree though, the small fish darting in and out of the rock is very cool to watch.

I think I will take your guys advice and go will all small fish except for the Yellow Tang I already have. Like I said though if he gets to big or looks stressed, I'll take him back.

Yeah my only concern is the Diamond Watchman Goby I have and who he will and won't get along with. He leaves all the fish alone as long as they stay away from the sand. I fear though that any fish that would rest on the rock or near the sand might be picked on.