PDA

View Full Version : Calling Solana owners: What kind of chiller do you have?

ATM
04/23/2009, 10:38 AM
Title speaks for itself.

Does anyone have it place inside the cabinet stand? or will it get to hot?

Thanks

Delsfishes
04/23/2009, 03:27 PM
Don't even bother putting a chiller in the cabinet it wont cool as it gets too hot in the cabinet and the chiller cant breath.

ATM
04/23/2009, 04:27 PM
Im trying to find a chiller that is not an eye sore outside the tank.
Any recs

Dweezle
04/27/2009, 07:14 AM
Bump from the grave! I need an answer to this same question.

kmu
04/27/2009, 09:32 AM
Im really interested in this one since Im running around 82 with the glass lid on the solana and if I remove it it goes down to 77 but evaporates alot of water.

Around how many watts does a chiller for a tank size similar to the solana runs on?

cerobbins
04/27/2009, 09:34 AM
You cannot place a chiller in the stand unless you have added some good ventilation to the stand as the chiller will get too hot to work properly.

As far as specific chiller recommendations most of the lower hp models seem to be on a relatively even playing field from what I have seen. If you're looking for a quite unit I have heard good things about the Teco.

noblerot
04/28/2009, 12:28 AM
Current USA 1/10 hp

Not in the stand, but behind it in the corner.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/Nynaeve710/screenies/P1020123.jpg

codyjp
04/28/2009, 01:04 AM
It's not on a Solana but I also just put a 1/10 Current beside my tank. I would like to install it inside the stand but I want to figure out a way to put ventelation fans in the back of the stand that are wired on thermostats so they will only run when it reaches a certain temperature (probably 85 degrees).

If anybody has an info on the logistics of this operation I'd appreciate it!

The current isn't too bad but I wish they didn't have the red digits for the temp read out glowing all the time, it really could be dimmed a bit so it isn't so stinking bright!

The 1/15 would have probably worked just fine but I wanted to get a chiller that could be upgraded into a larger tank at a future date. I'm thinking ahead!

ATM
04/29/2009, 10:41 AM
From what I've been reading through out different websites you cant put it in the closet or under a stand unless you get a couple of fans to cool it off.

Trust me I just bought the 1/10th and hate it sitting beside the tank