PDA

View Full Version : Scooter Blenny

kel2682
04/23/2009, 06:16 PM
can they lay eggs without a male in the tank ??????

Zaita
04/23/2009, 07:00 PM
While it's possible. The eggs would be unfertilised. However, I think this is highly unlikely as they perform a courtship dance @ dusk with their mate and rise together to release the eggs into the water column.

The eggs will be small and clear, and be skimmed out fairly quickly. Not something you'd see as a mass in your tank anywhere.

kel2682
04/23/2009, 07:07 PM
I see ...was more curious b/c of its behavior It seems to be lathargick (sp) I thought maybe just pregnant but I guess thats not the case The only other thinhg is I guess starving or sick Ive had her about 7 months She was my only fish for awhile And then a fire fish since a week ago firefish has died due to jumping and bein out to long Ive seen the scooter eat mysis and my tank is full of pods like I said only fish but she isnt moving much any thoughts sorry so long

Zaita
04/23/2009, 07:11 PM
How does the fish look? Does she have a fat belly or is it noticeably pinched and sunken?

As you've said they do eat pods, so if you have an abundance of them in your tank that's going to be beneficial (don't confush pods with mysid shrimp). If the scooter is eatng mysis, you could try increasing the frequency of your feedings to ensure it's getting enough to eat.

If the fish has a nice round, fat belly then it's unlikely to be a food problem. Perhaps a parasite or something else from the introduced firefish?

kel2682
04/23/2009, 07:20 PM
Yea No I meant I feed mysis and she eats them I Also added like two bottles of pods over the time Ive had her to ensure there were enough SHe doesnt look fat and she has grown a little more in the head Fat ol head its been a couple of days now I fed today alot to see what she did and she came out from under a rock wich is not usaual for her to be imobile she got some of her color back to black but its just weird Id hate to say that she is slowly dieing in front of me due to starvation ........I find hard to believe with all the pods and with the parasites I thought dragnets had special protected slime coats so they rarely get sick ??????????

Zaita
04/23/2009, 07:26 PM
The slime coat of a dragonette does serve as a deterint to external parasites like Ick, but internal parasites are still possible. I imagine their gills are sill vulnerable too.

I'd say keep up the feeding of mysis. Soak it in some garlic if possible (Yes I know, nothing proven but no harm either). Ensure the fish continues to eat. If she stops eating there is usually nothing you can do.

Also watch her behaviour. Does she wander around hunting pods? Can you see her actively eating them?

kel2682
04/23/2009, 07:33 PM
normally yes last 2 days no and when i fed the mysis she def didnt eat like norm i just dont get how she can live 7 months fine and then all of a sudden stop eatin I guess ill be waiting this one out

Zaita
04/23/2009, 07:37 PM
Sorry I can't offer more advice. Just increase feedings and see how she goes.

kel2682
04/23/2009, 07:41 PM
thanks anyone outthere with any more advice,or experience with these scooter blennies

kel2682
04/23/2009, 08:03 PM
^
^
^
anyone