PDA

View Full Version : firefish goby and yellow watchman goby?

linz13
04/23/2009, 09:41 PM
Hey guys! It's been awhile since I've posted, but I just started a new tank. It's a 20 gallon tank. Got all the live rock and live sand in it and everything... about 20 pounds of live sand, and 25 pounds of live rock.. maybe a little more than that.

I was thinking about getting a firefish goby, but I also would like a yellow watchman goby to keep the sand and rocks algae free... or close to it.

Would these guys get along? Or would the firefish goby keep the sand and rocks algae free?

Also another thing to consider... I have a purple pseudochromis that i moved from my other tank that got overwhelmed by algae so I had to start over.. haha not good! But anyways... would the purple pseudochromis attack the firefish?

Thanks!

fishkeeper2009
04/23/2009, 11:46 PM
One thing comes to mind when you're talking about firefish gobies, is that they are jumpers and i've had two jump out of my 120, in a 20 gal you would probably need to cover it with eggcrate to prevent that from happening.

otrlynn
04/24/2009, 04:57 AM
Several points. I have both a purple firefish and a yellow watchman in my 58. They get along fine. Neither of them does anything to keep the rocks algae free however. Purple pseudochromis tend to be mean buggers that think they own the tank. It will most likely keep the firefish terrified and in hiding. I would never put one in a 20 gallon tank. And, yes, firefish are jumpers, and are fully capable of jumping through eggcrate. I had one that jumped through 1/3" bird netting. The netting can stretch a bit, but I'm sure a firefish will fit through the 1/2" grid of eggcrate.

Sugar Magnolia
04/24/2009, 06:01 AM
I agree about the psuedochromis. They are agressive fish and will attack and either kill the firefish or cause it to jump out. IMO, the pseudochromis is more than likely going to attack anything you put in that 20g tank.

linz13
04/24/2009, 06:35 AM
alright so ill hold out.. ill probably keep the pseudochromis in my 20 and put the firefish... if i get one... into my 55 gallon. the pseudochromis is a little bugger and he has attacked one other fish that i tried to introduce to my 55 gallon tank, which is why i moved him to the 20.

thank you guys!=]