PDA

View Full Version : New Clownfish

Mr.J Rocks
04/24/2009, 05:31 AM
I was wondering if a Black and White Ocellaris would fight or kill a Picasso clownfish? Also, will they be able to mate or become a bonded pair?

ladyonyx
04/24/2009, 10:46 AM
Every clownfish is different that way. Clowns of the same species often fight with each other, and some of them bond with a pufferfish (like my old clown), so it's hit or miss. You could give it a try. Make sure you have another tank on hand in case the fighting gets out of control so you can separate them.

acroporas
04/24/2009, 11:23 AM
I would not worry about it. Ocellars and percula's will form pairs and breed just fine.

As long as you use the normal method of pairing clowns, where the newcomer is much smaller than the older, existing fish, it should be ok.

Mr.J Rocks
04/25/2009, 06:23 PM
Ok, thanks. Would it be fine to put the Picasso in if it is 0.5" smaler than the Black Ocellaris?

Magga Pie
04/25/2009, 07:02 PM
If anything you can put one into a breeders net or container in the tank for a couple of days so they get used to each other without being able to actually get to each other. This is what I did when I added a new clown that was almost the same size as my other one.

ILLiDaN
04/25/2009, 10:05 PM
B&W have been known for being rowdy at times and size also kind of affects the beginning 'fighting' until the Picasso submits and the female accepts him its whether or not the lil guy can handle the nips chasing. I would jus do what magga suggests lets the female know hes there and then when he is loose its an easier transition

rkelman
04/26/2009, 03:37 AM
I think they will be fine. I haven't found Black O's to be any more aggressive than any other Ocellaris.