PDA

View Full Version : Aquacontroller Ph probe: Lab Grade vs Standard vs BRS?

eros
04/24/2009, 05:46 AM
I need to purchase a PH probe for my Aquacontroller. Is it worth the money to buy the Lab Grade probe? Do they last longer? I also saw that Bulk Reef Supply sells a Generic Ph probe for only $30. Anyone have experience with that one?

jener8tionx
04/24/2009, 05:57 AM
I have a BRS pH probe and I am satisfied. I can dial it in within .003 using the pH standards (10 and 7). This is on a DIY amplifier running to my DIY controller (http://reefprojects.com).

I think is is accurate enough for our hobby for sure.

One good test would be to use 4 and 10, then see how close the probe it at 7. This would give an idea on how linear the probe reads.

eros
04/24/2009, 06:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14887742#post14887742 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jener8tionx
I have a BRS pH probe and I am satisfied. I can dial it in within .003 using the pH standards (10 and 7). This is on a DIY amplifier running to my DIY controller (http://reefprojects.com).

I think is is accurate enough for our hobby for sure.

One good test would be to use 4 and 10, then see how close the probe it at 7. This would give an idea on how linear the probe reads.

How long have you had it? My biggest concern is longevity. I don't want my probe going out and possibly harming my reef. How long can I expect these probes to last?

cabrego
04/24/2009, 08:05 AM
I did not have good luck with my lab grade probe. It only lasted like 3 months.

The only thing I can think of that may have hurt it is that it ws exposed to my metal halides and there was stray voltage in the tank during it's operation time.

I don't know if factors contributed or not.

suasponte2/75
04/24/2009, 02:33 PM
I've had my probes for a few years and have been told that as long as they can still calibrate, they should be good to go. I have the standard ones by the way. I was also told that Lab Grade was suppose to be more precise (how much more do we need at .01 on the standard ones?) but not sure about longevity.. HTHs.

eros
04/24/2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go with the cheaper option. Seems like they are pretty much the same.